Stage Painting

Bryson

When you're painting the stage with Rosco Tough Prime, do you think there's any advantage in also glazing over the top (with Premiere Clear or similar) for additional hardwearing capabilities or do you think that's just a waste of time? Opinions welcome.

The varnish is harder wearing and designed for areas of heavy traffic but I think I would do a sample square metre first. I have had experience of someone being ever so proud of the finish on a stage until we pointed lights at it and it reflected like a mirror.

The varnish is harder wearing and designed for areas of heavy traffic but I think I would do a sample square metre first. I have had experience of someone being ever so proud of the finish on a stage until we pointed lights at it and it reflected like a mirror.

Not glazed, but you want to try lighting a panto with a bright yellow/amber/red design (akin to the Nurofen symbol)... Bounced pretty much everything back up and flattened the whole design.

And worse - the same company decided (against my protestations) to paint the floor and side flats in a purple. Whatever I threw at that stage it was, well, purple.....

:(tGLdY8F.jpg

Tprlv2c.jpg

Edited by Ynot

It would never occur to me to do anything of the kind. My first technical experience in 1970 was in my school which had just moved to a new building with a hall equipped with lightwood varnished rostra as a flexible stage. As the walls were also off white it was a nightmare from day one. On black the problem would have been less naturally but from that day on it was always flat matt for me unless there was a good reason to go the other way. Incidentally that advice was seldom taken...