Self Employed Covid 19 Support application now live

Bazz339

I had issues logging on, getting various redirects and going round in circles with messages like "The service you require has been cancelled" or somesuch (didn't take a screengrab so that's probably not the exact wording sorry).

Anyway I just persisted with attempting to login and got through on the 4th or 5th try, thereafter as Bazz & Paulears have stated, pretty simple.

I think it was probably just that the site wasn't really handling the volume of traffic very gracefully, I'm sure at tax time people tend to spread out when they do it but everyone probably tried for the grants all at once, seeing as these circumstances are a bit different than normal.

FWIW,

David.

I gave up in the end, and rang the freephone number. Unfortunately, it only keeps you on hold for 14 minutes then kicks you off. 4 tries and an hour later and I managed to get an online chat window, she gave me a different number. When I rang I got music on hold for One Hour and Twelve minutes. Then a woman answered saying she was working from home, she explained that the web application was coming up with errors because I didn't have a credit history and they used a credit agency to double-check your identity. She asked me the date when I submitted my last tax return which luckily I knew as it was christmas eve, and she then entered the application manually through the keyboard.

Just as I was putting the phone down a courier called in and said 'good afternoon!' which was met with incredulity as I'd started the application at 8am.

49899395712_0c1920a567.jpg

49899089351_b2da8d3b7c.jpg

Edited by KevinE

Likewise, applied easily last week, very simple process and money in my account today. It may not be a huge amount and of course HMRC will get a third back in tax and NI but I'm very grateful to get anything at all. No idea if I'll have any more work this year though so I'm trying to keep the costs down!

Applied on Saturday and it's showing as a pending credit on my account for tomorrow so very efficient.

Lucky I've managed to keep working to some extent though, as the way it's calculated works out very badly for me.

It's averaged over the three years I spent building my own house (funded by selling the old house) and only working a couple of days a week so income was very low.

Now I've finished the house and am working 6 days a week again I'm obviously earning 3 times as much but have a lot more bills to pay!

Fortunately I'm primarily a builder with a small sideline in temporary event stuff so there is still work I can do. If it was the other way around I'd be screwed trying to survive on 80% of a third of my income!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

3rd Tranche of SEIS grant needs to be applied for now.

But still nothing to help those of us who slipped through the cracks the first (and second) time round....dry.gif

Looks like I'm going to be driving my Tesco's van for a while longer yet. sad.gif

3rd Tranche of SEIS grant needs to be applied for now.

But still nothing to help those of us who slipped through the cracks the first (and second) time round....dry.gif

Looks like I'm going to be driving my Tesco's van for a while longer yet. sad.gif

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, Ian - application failed on a technicality on 2018/9 tax return. (But I stopped driving my Tesco van in October once the dark evenings and horrible weather came along laugh.gif)