Stage Weight Locks

tomolding

when kitting out a new building in the early 2000s, we needed to buy sufficient stage weights for both theatre spaces. This was a large enough quantity to mean we could have them cast with the venue name. (Unfortunately, as we bought loose kit from both Halls and Flints, I can't remember which company supplied the weights, and whether Flints (given that Hall Stage no longer trades) still offer this service more than 15 years down the line... ) I think we needed to buy 50 or more weights, which would be a sizeable investment at current prices!

I doubt this would stop them wandering, but at least if you go into a theatre, say for the sake of argument, in the North East of Scotland and see a stage weight with "Unicorn" cast into the top, you would know where it came from originally ! :D

Has it worked though?

We had 4 chrome & black leather bar stools for performers use with the name of the theatre pierced into an additional cross rail, one by one they disappeared over the course of a year.

I doubt this would stop them wandering, but at least if you go into a theatre, say for the sake of argument, in the North East of Scotland and see a stage weight with "Unicorn" cast into the top, you would know where it came from originally ! :D

Has it worked though?

We had 4 chrome & black leather bar stools for performers use with the name of the theatre pierced into an additional cross rail, one by one they disappeared over the course of a year.

couldn't tell you what the current situation is, I last worked there over 5 years ago... as I said in the post, I doubt it would be particularly effective against removal, accidental or otherwise. I would suspect a certain degree of distribution around non-stage areas of the building, as has been mentioned by others.

To be honest, it wasn't really a serious anti theft measure, we just liked the idea of having our own branded stage weights - a bit like those schoolboys with nicknames on their Tees that were being discussed a little while ago.... :P

Edited by andy_s

Ours used to wander when I was in a venue, many years ago, with a few Amateur/Light Operatic shows a year. Their sets were hired in, with stage weights but ours used to get either swapped or removed

I then sprayed all our weights DayGlo Green and the problem stopped overnight

David