How to connect an induction loop to a modern TV.

BML

The last Panasonic TV I had was an "TX-32LXD60A with two Scart sockets which made the task of setting up an Induction Loop very simple. There are no Scart sockets on the PanasonicTX-55GX55 5B 55" TV that I just bought and I have spent hours buying a number of different cables and converters none of which I have been able to make work. Does anyone have any idea what I have to do?

Not really what we do on here but...looks like you'll have to use the headphone socket. Which will likely kill the in-built speakers so as well as feeding the loop amplifier you'll needs to feed an external speaker(s) if you want people to hear the sound without using the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

The NEW MegaLoop DAC ™ allows easy connection to most modern digital TVs.

Has an integrated Digital Audio Converter, making this the easiest loop system to connect to modern televisions using the digital optical output socket on the TV. It is easy to install with just one Toslink Cable, which is provided.

See this link

According to the - Manual - the headphone socket can also be configured as Line Out. See page 18.

David

Many thanksfor the information on the, “Echo MegaLoop?DAC™” It looks interesting and on top ofthat its much less expensive than other devices. ]

I’ve onlyjust picked these replies up because I thought they came automatically.

Many thanksBML

Many thanks for your information. The first problem I have is that there are somany Toslink to analogue convertersand I have no idea which one to go for. The one below looks useful but I have no idea what cables I need orwhere they fit.

The old loop set upworked by inserting the male fitting at the end of the cable from the inductioncushion into a Scart socket that plugged into the back of the TV. The new TV works on USBs and HDMIs sockets onthe TV.

Many thanks for your information. The first problem I have is that there are somany Toslink to analogue convertersand I have no idea which one to go for. I tried to place one below but could not work out how to I also have no idea what cables I need orwhere they fit.

The old loop set upworked by inserting the male fitting at the end of the cable from the inductioncushion into a Scart socket that plugged into the back of the TV. The new TV works on USBs and HDMIs sockets onthe TV.

Any suggestions would behelpful.

Regards,

Brian L

Any suggestions would behelpful.

Regards,

Brian L

If you already have the induction loop (as it sounds like) you could always just buy a low cost Toslink to analogue converter to use with the existing loop system?

+1 - I did this for my wife's Grandad when he got a new TV, under a tenner on amazon for a converter and a spare Toslink cable form the garage and he was back to watching fishing TV 24/7!!

I regret that you are communicating with a technological ignoramus who has three questions.

My elderly Bellman & SymfonInduction loop is only identified by these few letters and numbers, "BE 1150" I used to connect this to my old Panasonic TV an“TX-32LXD60A with a two pin male plug that fitted into the back of a Scart socket which made the task of setting up anInduction Loop very simple.

I now have a new TV which is also aPANASONIC TX-55GX555B 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV.

I keyed, “Low cost Toslink to analogueconverter” into the internet and there are a large number of thesedevices. Is it possible to identify preciselywhich Low cost Toslink to analogue converter I need?

Having identified the appropriate Lowcost Toslink to analogue how does one connect it to the analogue converter and from there to my elderly loopsystem and the TV?

Many many thanks for your help.

I've had a look for the models Brian mentioned, they're at the end of https://bellman.com/documents/technical-information/technical-solutions-en.pdf.

It appears as though there's two elements, a SCART to DIN speaker out unit that goes into the TV, then the induction loop itself which connects via the DIN speaker cable.

As the SCART unit also provides amplification, it would probably be best to keep it, maybe using a toslink to analogue adapter like this, then an RCA to female SCART adapter to be able to use the original unit. My only concern is that I'm not sure if the RCA to SCART adapter would provide the audio into the necessary pins. Any thoughts?

It does sound like everyone's gone for some very complex solutions!

Did you plug your loop system into one of these SCART adapters, using the red and white phono connectors?

CN21231-501.jpg

If so, then this twin phono socket to 3.5mm plug adapter would let you plug your loop into the headphone socket in your TV.

AV13806-40.jpg

The question remaining is whether you watch TV alone? As pointed out above, using the headphone socket will by default mute the sound in the room, which may or may not be OK for you. If you want the output to the loop to be independent of the TV's speaker output then, according to page 19 of the user manual, you can go into the audio menu and change the headphone socket to be "Lineout".

Or have you already tried this. If my assumptions about how you were connecting were correct, then an adapter well under £5 should provide an easy fix. If I'm wrong, though, a photo of your loop amp and its connectors would be very useful, as without that we're just guessing!