Budget Radio Mic

HilcrRWise

We are looking to replace an old faulty Sennheiser EW300 G2 handheld radio mic system but want something that is more budget oriented but still decent quality. As we have mainly used Sennheiser in the past I was drawn towards the XSW 1 system (I don't think the XSW 2 system would be worth the additional cost for our usage). This system comes in two versions with an 825 or an 835 capsule, what is the difference in actual sound quality between these two capsules? If it is any help we would mainly be using this mic with an old Yamaha StagePas 500 PA system. Also are there any other manufacturers/models I should also look at that may be cheaper but offer the same sound quality?

Thanks

We are looking to replace an old faulty Sennheiser EW300 G2 handheld radio mic system.

This is good quality and readily repairable kit. Is this *really* beyond repair? What is the fault? If we can help get this working again I think that is by far preferable and cheaper than trying to find a new "budget but good quality" replacement.

For example receiver power supplies and antenna are readily available. For a handheld, the LCD is pretty easy to replace etc etc. So it would be good not to write-off this equipment just yet unless it really has been damaged/abused beyond repair (in which case I'd hold out little hope for a new/budget replacement).

Regards 825/835 this is cardoid versus hyper-cardiod pickup. In your application, pick the cheapest.

Kevin

Edited by kgallen

The issue with the EW300 G2 is the handheld transmitter, when brand new batteries are inserted it shows low battery and shuts down. This was sent to MLEC to have a look and they said that unfortunately they were unable to repair it. Even if we were able to repair it I would still like to get some recommendations for a budget option as well for backup purposes.

Thanks

OK.

I don't see any lone handhelds listed at this time, but EW300G2 (or even G1 or even G3) handheld mics come up frequently on eBay. You'd pay £80-£100. Just make sure you get the correct frequency band, which I'd expect to be the 830-865MHz range for legal UK use and where you're using Bank 8 presets 1 thru 4 for license-free Ch70 operation.

A seller who often has this kit is https://www.ebay.co....globalassetmgmt (with whom I have no association).

I see that UsedPA have one at £59: https://www.usedpa.co.uk/sennheiser (again, no association).

HandHeld: SKM300 G2-E 830-866MHz HandHeld Microphone with 835 Capsule £59 Used, Fair 1

Even at "Fair" you could use the outer sleeve from your own if it were in better condition.

On eBay at the moment is this full set with the (more expensive) super-cardiod capsule: https://www.ebay.co....2EAAOSwl6Rd1zLB (no association) which whilst priced slightly on the high side, I would view preferable over some new budget kit.

Search for SKM300G2 or SKM100G2 or SKM500G2 or even SKM*G1 range, all will be fine for you if you have just the one mic for basic use.

Also if you do buy something completely new, your 300G2 receiver has value and you could get £50-£100 on eBay for it (expecially if it includes the power supply, 2 antenna and even rack mount ears).

Anyway, hope that might help or at least give you some options...

Kevin

Edited by kgallen

Regards 825/835 this is cardoid versus hyper-cardiod pickup. In your application' date=' pick the cheapest.[/quote']

Not quite - according to the spec sheets, they're both nominally cardioid.

However, there is a slight difference in pattern - the 825 is slightly narrower below 1kHz, but less even from 4kHz-ish on up.

The 835, while being a little wider below 1kHz, seems more consistent from 2-8kHz.

The 835 also stays flatter lower on axis and has a broader presence peak, the 825 will likely sound slightly bass-light and at the same time may be less prone to cut through without resorting to EQ, if the response curves are to be believed.

That being said, I haven't used the 825, so can't really speak to its sound.

HTH,

David.

kmgf3QH.png

Edited by David Morison

Not quite - according to the spec sheets, they're both nominally cardioid.

Apologies, quite right. I was mixing up the 835 (cardioid, green ring) with 845/865 (super-cardioid, blue/red ring).

Edited by kgallen