Lighting Bar Hangers - seeking

MusicalMuseum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three whole pages of waffle ..........

(4 now) Isn't that one of the joys of the BR? - Original question, a few answers (which may or may not be relevant to the actual question, & may or may not take account of where in the world the OP is asking from), followed by a series of off-topic discussions, until people finally get bored & move on.

Isn't that conversations in real life in general? The human condition rather than an online phenomenon?

It is.

However a number of contributors have added some very good comments and I'd like to think that along the way, at least one but hopefully more have learnt something in what is potentially an important subject.

I for one have seen a few occassions where lifting operations have been performed by people who have no clue.

In fact I've seen a 10:1 block and tackle (cheap lightweight thing advertised for removing car engines marked as SWL 1.5cwt) being used to lift scaff tubes something like 25m. but it was being used to back to front to multiply the speed of lift and pulled by a vehicle. apparently they'd been using the system for years.

....... a number of contributors have added some very good comments and I'd like to think that along the way, at least one but hopefully more have learnt something in what is potentially an important subject.

Perfectly true, & a useful discussion but, as Kerry was pointing out, it had very little to do with the original question.

....... a number of contributors have added some very good comments and I'd like to think that along the way, at least one but hopefully more have learnt something in what is potentially an important subject.

Perfectly true, & a useful discussion but, as Kerry was pointing out, it had very little to do with the original question.

Indeed this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the OP but he did ask questions about load bearing structures and hoisting is a perfectly valid load.

So the answer to your concerns about the way this thread has gone would be to start a new one, a very valid solution. Except there is potential for some of the replies to be irrelevant to the new OP and another thread would be started. The result would be a whole series of related threads being created. I used to be be a member of a forum where the mods would grab OT posts and start a new thread with it and it was a meaningless shambles.

The fact that OP is satisfied with the first few answers and his lack of response since is OK with me and personally I don't see a problem with the way this has gone, it's not offensive, meaningless or pointless. Quite the contrary there has been meaningfull and educational discussion and at the same time I see it as a reminder about safety.

I'd hope the mods would pounce if it contravened the rules or aims of the group.

The fact that OP is satisfied with the first few answers and his lack of response since is OK with me and personally I don't see a problem with the way this has gone, it's not offensive, meaningless or pointless. Quite the contrary there has been meaningfull and educational discussion and at the same time I see it as a reminder about safety.

Sorry for the silence! I didn't have notifications turned on, and after reading the first few posts, we had indeed got our answer; very helpful - and thanks again.

As a quick update, everything had been hung now, and our rigger agreed that we are absolutely fine, well within load limits and nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, we have now found a new source of these clamps thanks to the information obtained here, and have ordered more to ensure that any future work can have additional supports added if necessary. It's been useful reading through this to remind us that anything that requires rigging at height needs extra scrutiny, and may have consequences we would not have even considered without proper, certified help.

Cheers! smile.gif

Sorry for the silence! I didn't have notifications turned on, and after reading the first few posts, we had indeed got our answer; very helpful - and thanks again.

As a quick update, everything had been hung now, and our rigger agreed that we are absolutely fine, well within load limits and nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, we have now found a new source of these clamps thanks to the information obtained here, and have ordered more to ensure that any future work can have additional supports added if necessary. It's been useful reading through this to remind us that anything that requires rigging at height needs extra scrutiny, and may have consequences we would not have even considered without proper, certified help.

Cheers! smile.gif

For future reference, these would be available from any unistrut stockist which will include pretty much every electrical wholesaler.