Spotlight advice

RedDog

Thanks for all your input..yes it's a church building... and still holds sunday service.. it is also a community resource, helping the homeless, those with mental health issues, a community cafe, amongst other things,and home to the opus theatre.just looking for advice couple of 'cheapish' spots to help light the stage.. we are fully awre of the dificulties, and our obligations regrding the grade 2 listing.just need a couple of not too expensive spots to add to the mix...Donations gratefully received... a couple of old non-led will do.. we have a small dimmer.

Right then. Take the balcony seats between the organ wall and the first aisle out of use for audience and rig stands and lanterns there when required. Hire them in, run the tails to the control point. Job done. It's be a lot simpler without the organ! Edited by Junior8

at the present we have 3 showtec par 18 mk3s per side on stands at those positions.....

which provide ample coverage.we also have 7 overheads in the roof, 4 over the stage 3 slightly forward.need 2 more from balcony as per post, to complete.this will be ample lighting for our needs.

Right then. Take the balcony seats between the organ wall and the first aisle out of use for audience and rig stands and lanterns there when required. Hire them in, run the tails to the control point. Job done.

Edited by RedDog

I've done a few gigs in a similar venue in Wales. Concerts, not theatre. It's not as big, but is a similar format of balcony. Have a look at these pictures, which show how they mounted bars along the balcony front. I think this is also grade 2 listed so the bars are in effect temporary.

The rig is something like 3 x 500w fresnels per side, and 3 x RGB pars per side with a couple more on the front balcony. This is adequate to give a good stage cover from the fresnels and colour from the Pars. When I go in there, if I need more, I can rig from their bars and run a 3 channel dimmer from the 13A sockets on the balcony or I can put a couple of stands in the balcony seating, though this obviously reduces seating capacity upstairs.

My link 01

My link 02

cool, thanks.

Using the side balcony fronts will also help. Newcastle City Hall is a similar long narrow building (albeit much larger) and the side balcony positions provide a decent amount of front lighting

c0dcd3726dc49c458a88941245654aade23f1c8e.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&crop=entropy&w=1920&h=1080

thanks, nice and simple..yes, that's kind of our plan.. in effect hang brackets from the balcony. just got to get a couple of fixtures to test..

I've done a few gigs in a similar venue in Wales. Concerts, not theatre. It's not as big, but is a similar format of balcony. Have a look at these pictures, which show how they mounted bars along the balcony front. I think this is also grade 2 listed so the bars are in effect temporary.

The rig is something like 3 x 500w fresnels per side, and 3 x RGB pars per side with a couple more on the front balcony. This is adequate to give a good stage cover from the fresnels and colour from the Pars. When I go in there, if I need more, I can rig from their bars and run a 3 channel dimmer from the 13A sockets on the balcony or I can put a couple of stands in the balcony seating, though this obviously reduces seating capacity upstairs.

My link 01

My link 02

Hi Red Dog, as you are in Hastings why not pop along to the Stables Theatre in the old town and have a chat to our lighting team and look at what we use to light our stage, we may be able to let you borrow some lantern to try out at your venue. Frank

Cheers.Will mail you.

Hi Red Dog, as you are in Hastings why not pop along to the Stables Theatre in the old town and have a chat to our lighting team and look at what we use to light our stage, we may be able to let you borrow some lantern to try out at your venue. Frank

• 3 weeks later...

thank you.

My link 01

My link 02

I'm surprised anything can be rigged from those at all. Odd that they're not stood further away from the balcony front.

I think the photo must be deceptive.

There is plenty of room to hang a minuette fresnel or an RGB Par. I've hung Source 4 pars there too, they don't touch the front face of the balcony.