Compact active sub

cpizey

Hi folks

I'm looking to buy a compact active sub, under £400, and currently have this shortlist.

dB Technologies Sub 612 - 600W 46-123hz 129db

Turbosound IP12B - 600+200+200W (Klark Teknic amps) 45-150hz, 120db

Turbosound IP15B - 600+200+200W (Klark Teknic amps) 45-150hz, 120db (allegedly same spec as the 12?!)

Its for (very) small gigs for a rock band, mainly to add to the kick.

I like the versatility of the extra amps for tops that comes with the Turbos - but this is not essential.

Thoughts/recommendations please?

Has anyone tried any of these?

Many thanks.

Also not compared, but if your specs are correct like for like comparisons, surely the box that plays a massive 9dB louder wins hands down?

FWIW, I'm not sure what "Klark Teknik amps" actually means.

Back in the day, KT were of course an industry standard in signal processing, with the DN-360 and DN-410 being iconic products that you'd see everywhere, but they never made amplifiers.

I've nothing against the Music Group, but in this context, wonder if "KT amps" is no more than applying a brand name to a box, where there is no heritage (no pun intended).

Thomann’s Achat boxes punch well above their weight in my opinion. I don’t own and haven’t heard their subs, but have a number of their tops and their build quality and sound are superb for the money. Worth a look if nothing else.

Tony

KT which is part of the MusicTribe have now produced amp's since back in the day..... they also now produce a whole lot of other new products since back in the day. Along with their proprietary Processing, DSP and Outboard products.

Also not compared, but if your specs are correct like for like comparisons, surely the box that plays a massive 9dB louder wins hands down?

Back in the day, KT were of course an industry standard in signal processing, with the DN-360 and DN-410 being iconic products that you'd see everywhere, but they never made amplifiers.

I've nothing against the Music Group, but in this context, wonder if "KT amps" is no more than applying a brand name to a box, where there is no heritage (no pun intended).

Edited by Turbo Guy

As with the others, I haven't heard any of the options you've mentioned, nor have I heard any Achat subs, but I've used other cabs in their range and they certainly punch above their price.

While, in theory, the dB Technologies sub has stacks more output than the Turbosounds, I'd be a little suspicious of a 129 dB 12" sub at that price level. In the end you're not going to get anything stunning - but you'd probably find the 15" Turbosound a little more satisfying.

You haven't mentioned what tops you're using. Or if the extra bulk/weight of a 15" sub would be an issue.

Why not buy a couple from Thomann, and use their excellent service to keep just the one you prefer? A far better result than asking people on a forum, where no-one yet has tried any of the models you are looking at.

Tony

KT which is part of the MusicTribe have now produced amp's since back in the day..... they also now produce a whole lot of other new products since back in the day. Along with their proprietary Processing, DSP and Outboard products.

I'm very happy to be corrected on this one, but I have to agree with Tony - Klark Teknik never produced power amplifiers to the best of my knowledge. Midas did, back in the dim and distant past, but KT never did.

As regards the 10 year warranty - that's all well and good, but I for one would rather have no need for it, when something goes down just before or mid gig the best warranty in the world is not much help!

I very much doubt that the turbo specs are correct, being identical one or other has to be wrong - but 9 db is a BIG old difference....

Read my post again.... I said 'have now'.

Re the warranty..... any piece of equipment can go down mid gig..... no matter who the manufacturer. Probably best that you have a plan B

Re the warranty. The specs are correct.... 120db for that sub. I wouldn't be using it as a dedicated sub as it's really designed as part of a small system with the satellites in that range.... it's pretty limited in on it's own.

Tony

I'm very happy to be corrected on this one, but I have to agree with Tony - Klark Teknik never produced power amplifiers to the best of my knowledge. Midas did, back in the dim and distant past, but KT never did.

As regards the 10 year warranty - that's all well and good, but I for one would rather have no need for it, when something goes down just before or mid gig the best warranty in the world is not much help!

I very much doubt that the turbo specs are correct, being identical one or other has to be wrong - but 9 db is a BIG old difference....

Back in the day, KT were of course an industry standard in signal processing... ...but they never made amplifiers.

KT which is part of the MusicTribe have now produced amp's since back in the day..... they also now produce a whole lot of other new products since back in the day.

Now back in the day, when the grey matter was a little sharper, perhaps this would not be so confusssing...

Edited by TonyMitchell

Ahh you just have to read it fella

Back in the day, KT were of course an industry standard in signal processing... ...but they never made amplifiers.

KT which is part of the MusicTribe have now produced amp's since back in the day..... they also now produce a whole lot of other new products since back in the day.

Now back in the day, when the grey matter was a little sharper, perhaps this would not be so confusssing...

• 2 weeks later...
Folks, thanks for the advice. In the end I bought the Turbosound IP12B. I was really tempted by the 'a lot of PA in one box' concept, given that the idea for us was to downsize. The manual it arrived with said it was 500W not 600W. I also noticed the IP15B is listed as 121.5db (1.5db louder). Anyway, it looks good and has some very good features, some EQ presets and you can select from 4 different crossover frequencies, 80, 100,120,150hz. I tried it with an EV passive mid/top (not the speakers Turbosound recommend) and the sound was very bright even with the EQ adjusted as far as it would go. I guess that's symptomatic of 500/600W bass plus 2x200W mid/tops. By the way that's 2x200W in to 4 ohms. Unfortunately its just not loud and punchy enough for us so I think it will have to go back. Probably great for a solo artist with backing tracks, but we are a 4-piece rock band. I was being too optimistic/unrealistic. Turns out there is a good reason why we lug our two 18" bass bins around!

the sound was very bright even with the EQ adjusted as far as it would go. I guess that's symptomatic of 500/600W bass plus 2x200W mid/tops.

You're confusing power consumption (watts) with sound pressure levels (dB)

It's all about efficiency.

If you get a chance, have a listen to some C7 (a 200W mid/high cabinet that plays to 138dB/1m)