Wire rope clamps

James Remo

I’m looking for a specific type of wire rope clamp, that could be used to secure a Martin Sceptron to a drop wire, effectively making a ‘soft ladder’ where the sceptron form the rungs of the ladder. Ideally it would clamp onto about an inch of swr, so the units don’t twist downwards under their own weight, and have a hole for an m6 bolt to attach through, as I would like to bolt to the extrusion directly. My internet searches only turn up wire rope grips of various designs, nothing really suitable. Any pointers of more specific search terms or products that might fit the bill? Thanks in advance

James

The A rig will require roughly 300 of these, whilst the reutlinger is a wonderful unit, and I already own a bunch of the type 80, its massively over engineered for this application, and would blow the budget sky high. A simple clamp made of two plates and a bolt is more what I had in mind, with the plates having a saddle and bump profile for clamping onto the SWR. I've seen the type of unit so I know they exist, akin to half a bike seat mount, about the size of a speaker clamp. The idea is the soft ladders drop directly into road trunks for transport, and a clunky reutlinger would likely damage the diffusers if rattling around in the box on the truck.

If you used the kl2 in conjunction with the "optional sliding bracket for M12 bolt" and put the kl2 and swr inside the bracket, the cable would be closer to the centre of gravity of the Sceptron which would help to reduce the droop you mentioned.

Edit: I meant KL2-6.

Edited by DrV

A simple clamp made of two plates and a bolt is more what I had in mind, with the plates having a saddle and bump profile for clamping onto the SWR.

Something along those lines was the first idea that came into my head. But a bit simpler still. Two square or rectangular plates, each with two 6mm holes and perhaps a slight groove between the holes. Sandwich the wire between the plates, one 6mm bolt each side of the wire goes directly through both plates and into the extrusion in the back of the unit.

I imagine it would need to be a custom fab, but v simple so shouldn't be expensive in anything other than tiny quantities. You'd need to do a bit of due diligence, some testing possibly, perhaps consult an engineer. All a bit of a faff possibly, but I doubt you'd find a neater solution off the shelf.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

"Zip-clip strut-lock" might be a search term worth bunging into google. Not totally unlike a much smaller, much cheaper Reutlinger. I think it's only for 2mm wire though.

The last time this design went out they used doughty modular frames, now it’s heading to festival season it needs to be refined and faster to deploy. I figured I might find exactly what I envisaged on a shelf somewhere, but I guess the custom fab route wouldn’t be too time consuming, as long as I can prototype and get it signed off within the next month. The zip-clip stuff looks interesting, thanks

• 6 months later...