Cable Guides For Flown Bars

Don Allen

Can someone point me in the direction of a retrofit guide/slide/spool ? to allow DMX cables to travel alongside winch lift cables when they are lowered or raised.

I usually use two nylon cable ties, one loop around the winch wire rope and another cable tie to securely attach the DMX cable to the travelling loop, for tidy cable management, with loops spaced along the DMX cable.

I have spent a while browsing catalogues online with no success.

Depends on the size of the wire and funds.

One of my older options was jack chain, the type with 2 loops and the ends twisted round the other side of the link (looks a bit like a figure of 8 with a lump in the middle)we threaded a number of them onto the steel (Max of 5 or possibly 6mm) and cable tie the cable to the other end.

The other method has been stage curtain track runner blocks when a ripout permitted the reclamation.

Both of these methods do of course mean they have to be threaded onto an open end so no good for a retrofit unless one is happy/able/permitted to undo the steel, the 2 cable tie method you describe does work and I have even used it for a temporary curtain track.

I have found that gently twisting the cable round the vertical steel makes it less likely to foul or catch and tends to 'stack' more neatly.

Alternatively build a tank on the rig to allow the cable to be caught.

Depends on the size of the wire and funds.

One of my older options was jack chain, the type with 2 loops and the ends twisted round the other side of the link (looks a bit like a figure of 8 with a lump in the middle)we threaded a number of them onto the steel (Max of 5 or possibly 6mm) and cable tie the cable to the other end.

The other method has been stage curtain track runner blocks when a ripout permitted the reclamation.

Both of these methods do of course mean they have to be threaded onto an open end so no good for a retrofit unless one is happy/able/permitted to undo the steel, the 2 cable tie method you describe does work and I have even used it for a temporary curtain track.

I have found that gently twisting the cable round the vertical steel makes it less likely to foul or catch and tends to 'stack' more neatly.

Alternatively build a tank on the rig to allow the cable to be caught.

That wasn't very clear with the chain links. I used indivudual links from the chain, ran the lifting steel through one end and attached the cable to the other end with a cable tie.

Archived