DMX vs AUDIO cables

sunray

Well... a little update.

We did the show in May and as it turns out we were a lot cheaper.

Despite having no contact from the organisers the original guy turned up with a van full of kit when the event was nearly rigged. He invoiced for wasted time and his legal action for non payment went as far as 2 solicitors letters and 2 replies from the organisers.

After the last show and the 'Main ripout', the 3 of us were invited to the after show party and there we were presented with a bottle of scotch and a case of wine each as a thank you. It seems that the other guy had loads of 'riders' in the contract which We'd have never considered needed or appropriate.

We are booked for Feb and May shows and already involved in the planning discussions.

So nice when it works out right for everyone.smile.gif

• 1 year later...

And earlier today I was out installing lighting for a bank holiday run, basic 8x3m of truss on legs over stage and a couple of suspended lengths FOH plus 30 or so basic lamps. Nothing fancy and mostly hot lamps. I was up a stepladder focussing with intercom to LD at desk and guess who turns up to do sound...

Straight away he started removing our cables and winding them up round his arm...

We had a falling out with the idiot and informed hirers our kit was not to be tampered with. He pointed to his contract so they issued our statement to him in writing and made him sign it.

Then we watched him hang OH mics from the truss and add the reversals (complete with audio & DMX labels and colour coded), then another into the multicore. I just do not get his complete and utter refusal to understand what he's doing wrong.

Here's one I borrowed earlier and I see it's Van Damme mic cable:

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipOEfb5Wu836Lhw1-8iQAMfJEgVxLAVQPir8jr35

Edited by sunray

That makes sense - the audio goes from the microphone on stage through the cable to the sound desk, on the other hand the DMX signal goes from the desk to the stage in completely the other directions so as long as it's bi-directional cable he will be fine tongue.gif Edited by ImagineerTom

That makes sense - the audio goes from the microphone on stage through the cable to the sound desk, on the other hand the DMX signal goes from the desk to the stage in completely the other directions so as long as it's bi-directional cable he will be fine tongue.gif

That's all very well provided your mics aren't RDM enabled?

• 1 month later...