Carbon dioxide shortage

adam2

As a former publican sadly most real ales are dispensed using C02 driven engines, the C02 doesn't get put into the beer as real ale should produce it's own C02 but it is used to assist with a gas operated pump on long lines.

As for fizzy conglomerates also sometimes called beer they are flat as a pancake in the keg and gas is added to bring them to life.

Really nasty conglomerates such as anything with smooth in the title or with a creamy head such as the black conglomerate from Ireland they are brought to life with a nice bends giving mix of C02 and good old nitrogen so if you drink a lot of it that is why you get a bad head.

One really really nasty conglomerate with a female name starting with St known as wife beater also uses a nitrogen mix to really turbo charge those brain cells.

For the purists drink cider or if possible scrumpy straight from the cask as like real ale it has pretty much nothing added and is naturally gassed through fermentation, as a side note you also absorb the alcohol through the stomach and that is why it goes to your cranium quicker but is also better for your liver.

As for me I will just stick to my pints of wine thank you!

For the purists drink cider or if possible scrumpy straight from the cask

Those who passed through Wood Norton in the day may remember the pub at Fladbury, where my room-mate & I spent every lunchtime for 22 weeks. The Cider pump had lost most of its chrome & the cider was eating into the brass as well - possibly why my current dentist relies on me to help pay his mortgage.

• 3 years later...

I consider a new shortage of carbon dioxide to be likely.

The vast majority of carbon dioxide sold in the UK is a by product of fertilizer manufacture.

The present exceptionally high price of natural gas has resulted in at least two fertilizer plants suspending operations.

"On Wednesday, fertilizer producer CF Industries Holdings said it was suspending operations at both its Billingham and Ince manufacturing complexes due to high gas costs."

Quote from report on BBC news website.

Or simply go back to the old days when most packaged carbon dioxide was produced by Distillers PLC, a company noted for the manufacture of distilled spirits. It is not the actual distilling that produces carbon dioxide, but the prior step of fermentation.

To make say whiskey, a mash is fermented is a similar way to the brewing of beer, this produces a great amount of nearly pure carbon dioxide. This is then distilled. In years gone by the gas from the fermentation tanks was captured, purified and put into cylinders or bulk tanks for sale.

Since demand for spirits is fairly stable this gave a reliable carbon dioxide supply.

It was then found that carbon dioxide as a by product from fertilizer production was cheaper. This is a less stable supply since fertilizer production is firstly seasonal and secondly related to natural gas prices.

Another report here. BBC news gas shortage

Focuses on food supply and uses of carbon dioxide in food processing, mainly to stun animals and for food packaging. If the shortages becomes serious, I suspect that the food industry will be near the top priority and that entertainment will be near the bottom.

Edited by adam2

A "deal has been done" whereby the government are going to subsidise the re-opening of the fertiliser factories which would otherwise have uneconomic due to the high natural gas price.

This will of course increase supplies of carbon dioxide to near normal levels.

The food and drink industry will probably be a higher priority than theatres etc, but a general easing of supply will help.