Leg adapters for litedeck/steeldeck

andysquibb

Morning all,

I'm trying to find alternatives to Flint's Multi Leg Adapter, which is a clamp on adapter for 2"/50mm tube where two or more pieces of deck meet...

https://shop.flints.co.uk/Product-Details/All/SDMLA?proddesc=Multi-Leg-Adapter&category=pg_MultiLegAdapter&catdesc=Multi-Leg-Adapter

...however I'm after 80 of them (to buy). We've approached Flints to see if there's any discounts for trade and/or buying in bulk, and got a flat 'no' back from them - they weren't even prepared to discuss the idea of it.

Does anyone know of anyone else in the UK who makes/sells something similar? It's worth noting I don't want the 4-into-1 leg top version which sits on top of the tube as this adds 190mm height which is an issue.

Ta!

what's the problem with using those and shorter legs?

Lack of shorter legs?

Nothing an hour with a chop saw can't fix...

We just have a set of 4, 2, 1 adaptors and shorter legs. Made by an aluminium fabricator down the road. The clamp on ones are inherently expensive to make, they are quite complicated.

I know you said you don't want the leg top inserts, but they are a much cheaper way to do it and quicker to build too - what's the problem with using those and shorter legs?

I know they're quick, however I would disagree on them being cheaper? The flint option is £28 a leg... it's been a while sine I priced the leg tops up but from memory you don't get much change back from £100?

Might be wrong - again, if there's an option I've not come across yet I'll happily consider it - it's the price that's always pushed me away from the leg top route.

I know they're quick, however I would disagree on them being cheaper? The flint option is £28 a leg... it's been a while sine I priced the leg tops up but from memory you don't get much change back from £100?

You could be right, as I said we got a bloke down the road to weld some up and it was cheaper than that, but there's probably all sorts of reasons why you ought to buy the proper thing from the manufacturer.

Have a chat to Impact Products, they are one of the UK dealers for Litedeck, Ive just purchased a whole load of it with 4 to 1 leg adaptors which are great! They will most likely be able to sort you out with exactly what you need and they give discounts depending on how much/many you are buying.

might be barking up the wrong tree but this is what we got:

http://lightspace-uk.com/4-1-leg-saver/

We just have a set of 4, 2, 1 adaptors and shorter legs. Made by an aluminium fabricator down the road. The clamp on ones are inherently expensive to make, they are quite complicated.

You say that, but are they really that much harder? If you're going to fabricate one type you could just as well fabricate the other.

I wouldn't admit to having seen one but start with this half swivel coupler and you're halfway there.

If you were going to fabricate something and happened to want a single, fixed, leg length perhaps it would be easier still to do away with the clamp altogether and weld a suitable flange directly to the leg itself.

You say that, but are they really that much harder? If you're going to fabricate one type you could just as well fabricate the other.

I wouldn't admit to having seen one but start with this half swivel coupler and you're halfway there.

Here's a design that I came across a while ago (we acquired a bunch as part of a job lot when a company closed down). I like the fact that it's all standard stock, just cut to size and weld together.

8TlWkEn.jpg

One potential snag is that I know certain council inspectors weren't allowing "home made" adaptors to be used and would only accept pre-manufactured units that had certifiable welds. I suspect that at some point they had seen some sketchy designs with welds like Wispa bars, and just applied a blanket ban. Not sure if it will be an issue for the OP but maybe worth checking out before committing money to a self-build.

That seems quite big - we've seen some of a not totally dissimilar design;

3.png

They're much smaller overall - for steel deck, the issue is a little easier, as the leg socket is right in the corner, at a point all 4 sockets meet and you only have to space small distance to pick up the other 3 sockets.

With Litedeck, with the socket being spaced inside the framing, there's a bigger span needed.

Is the requirement to be able to use screwjacks, or just to cut down the number of legs required?

It was many years ago now, but before our hire supplier had litedeck legsavers, Litestructures signed off a method of using two legs diagonally placed where four corners meet, or one where two meet, with no legsaver. This allowed room for two screwjacks (bases rotated 45°) without overlapping each other. The method was conditional on using approved rated bolts to join decks.

Since made the switch to Layher system for stages on grass, but the principle still holds for rolling risers.

Archived