DMX - the very basics

AussieShooter

Good morning everyone,

I am currently building out my first DMX lighting system, but without the benefit of ever having seen one in operation (of course we've all enjoyed, or tolerated the results).

This project is the essence of simplicity - all based on lighting a single person for live television - 2 key lights in soft boxes (we're using Litepanel Astra 1 x1 lights for this), a backlight (from P360 Pro from Fiilex), and in the future, perhaps another LED fixture for the background. (unit tbd).

This is a total of 4 lights (max) with control needed for only dimming and color temperature. (the P360 also has a hue control, but this is not critical for these needs).

I've had a hard time figuring out the very basics of DMX. The documents published for the various fixtures I have looked at stop at the point where they tell you how to plug the system together - in other words, pretty much useless for a beginner!

Can anyone recommend a small, and very simple DMX controller? We do not need to have any capacity beyond what is described above. The unit is going to be controlled by the cameraman running the live shot, so I figure we need hard controls (not menus), instantly accessible and responsive when someone steps into the shot. We often will have only 15 seconds available to make the lighting tweaks, with another 45 seconds to get them mic'd up and prepared to go on air. (This is why I came to the conclusion that any controller that is menu based is not for us). The smaller the unit is, the better. With luck, I will be able to make a mount system to keep it right on the camera's tripod.

In the ideal scenario, I would love to see a slider dedicated to each control function, so that you would be able to put your hand on it, and make adjustments to the scene without even glancing at the controller. Does that make sense?

I look forward to hearing your ideas. Thank you.

Thanks. I quickly found a company tutorial on this unit, and after about 2 mins realized it might be much too complicated, with all the extra features. (I would hate to have an operator accidentally enter a different operating mode, etc).

Is there something 'bare bones'? Approximate capacity would be to handle 4 fixtures, 2 control features per light. (dimming and color temp control).

Cheers,

Grant.

How about this https://www.thomann...._controller.htm

Note that though you only want control of certain things, a simple controller is going to only work DMX channels in numerical order, you can't skip things you don't need, so this one could do 3x 4 channel units, or 4x 3 channels etc. Controllers that will allow you to skip the features you don't need are going to be more complicated in other ways too.

If 12 is not enough, then https://www.thomann....otex_sdc_16.htm gives 16 DMX channels and https://www.thomann...._controller.htm gives 24.

E2A - Just noticed you location, so Thomann may not be a good option, but I'm sure you can find something similar on your side of the pond.

E2A again - and beaten to it with my last suggestion.http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Third edit!

I've shown controllers that give a readout of values and there are cheaper versions that don't. But I think you may want a record of exactly how you had it set for any re-takes, and without memories in the desk, at least you can use pencil & paper to make notes with these.

Thanks all for the great information and product links. I've gone with the Stairville DDC-12 LDC unit, ordered from Thomann (I could not find it anywhere here in the U.S.)

I am hoping that we can simply allocate one physical slider to each of the controls we're interested in.

I am very grateful to all of you, and will write a follow-up and add some pictures (from inside the US Capitol).

Cheers, and best thoughts,

Grant.

Too late, as you've already ordered, but the DDC-6 LCD would probably have been easier to tripod-mount. Strand do, or at least did, a very simple 6-channel controller looking very similar to the DDC-6 that might be available in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember litepanels having DMX colour control?

From the litepanel website :

• Optional communications module allows the brightness, color temperature, and cooling mode to be controlled via DMX512 protocol (Additional module options under development)

Archived