Smoking in theatre

What are your views on Herbal cigarettes such as the Honeyrose brand? I remember buying them for a show when I was a student at Central but of course you can tell as an audience member that they smell different and sweeter in comparison to normal cigarettes.

In Scotland the type of material being smoked does not make a difference (assuming it was legally obtained)

From Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Act 2005

In this Part, "smoke" means smoke tobacco, any substance or mixture which includes it or any other substance or mixture; and a person is to be taken as smoking if the person is holding or otherwise in possession or control of lit tobacco, of any lit substance or mixture which includes tobacco or of any other lit substance or mixture which is in a form or in a receptacle in which it can be smoked.

• 2 weeks later...

Not linked to any legislation, but purely from my experience. In the last few years I was involved with 2 productions of the same musical that involved smoking. One used fake cigarettes the other real. With regards to look, they both looked as real as each other. The biggest difference was the smell. The real cigarettes stank the place out. Artistically there was absolutely no need for the real cigarettes, the fakes did just as well. They had a plume of smoke, I'm not sure if they actually lit, but they waved a lighter at them and I couldn't tell the difference.

The lingering smell of the real was awful. No need at all in my humble opinion.

Archived