Pantograph....in reverse

Judge

We are working on a design for a show and we want a large light source on a dolly that can be pushed around the stage and operated by a performer.

Tricky bit is, I want the light to be able to easily be moved up and down, like a panto but mounted other way up.

I know that a lot depends on weight of the lamp, but any ideas for starters?

How high?You could create a counterbalanced system using solid weights that move up and down on a column - pantograph use springs You could look at camera jibs. Or camera dollies - we used to have old vinten pedestals that's would go from waist height to about about 2m Look at stuff like dental/medical stuff

Or a gas lift stool mechanism

Linear actuators are widely available on fleabay very cheaply for lifting TV's & satellite dishes and come in a wide range of voltages/speeds/lengths. In the past I've created all sorts of fantastical lifting machines using one of those as the actual movement device then bolting on all manner of springs/levers/cogs to make it look like its some sort of heath-robinson machine.

Archived