safe guarding at after school events

Alwal

Perhaps tread carefully with this one Paul as it's technically illegal to listen to radio transmissions that aren't intended for you. You're completely right that such things shouldn't be on open channels but there's potential to land yourself in hot water for listening.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why is so much of this sensitive stuff being discussed on the radio?

Using the radios is quicker than a runner or having to leave the child or move the child whilst leaving others.

And unfortunately cheaper to run than issuing mobile phones which would be a lot more secure. Another problem with radios is everyone on the channel can hear, and those around them. I got caught out a few times when called out in a classroom when someone would helpfully call on the radio that someone's accused someone else of hitting them - can we check CCTV... and a whole class hears it!

Perhaps tread carefully with this one Paul as it's technically illegal to listen to radio transmissions that aren't intended for you. You're completely right that such things shouldn't be on open channels but there's potential to land yourself in hot water for listening.

There is a good document on the ofcom site which sets this out. https://www.ofcom.or...io-Scanners.pdf

Basically it is illegal to deliberately listen in to anything other than "general reception transmissions", and it is a further offence to pass on any information you heard to anyone else.

Although they define "general reception" as licensed broadcast stations or amateur/CB transmissions. I am not sure if PMR on unlicensed frequencies would class as amateur/CB, maybe it would... it could be argued that if you are just using another PMR446 radio and they are transmitting on your channel (rather than searching with a scanner) then you aren't deliberately listening in.

Although they define "general reception" as licensed broadcast stations or amateur/CB transmissions. I am not sure if PMR on unlicensed frequencies would class as amateur/CB, maybe it would... it could be argued that if you are just using another PMR446 radio and they are transmitting on your channel (rather than searching with a scanner) then you aren't deliberately listening in.

From my reading I would suggest that the moment you start logging the information relayed on said channel you'd be stepping into the crosshairs of it being classed as a deliberate action though. I suspect it would come under amateur use and you'd be fine, but nonetheless it seems a bit of a murky area even if done with good intentions.

Personally I think it would be best simply to go along to the school, ask to speak to a senior manager and merely ask them if they use radios for staff communication 'because I was driving past the other day and I thought I heard on my set stuff that could only come from a school. I just wanted you to know so you could check your security. ' Logging in detail is not wise I think, I certainly would not do this even in the interests of building a stronger argument and I would not let them know.

But it is simply another example of people being indiscrete, I wonder how much sensitive data goes off that school site every day in teachers' bags and on flash drives? Travelling around on business I regularly see things like confidential case notes being used on the trainand on one occasion I was able to read the names and addresses of what were clearly vulnerable residents of homes run by a well known charity from eight seats away. As for the bloke marking A Level Sociology papers on Bristol Temple Meads....

But it is simply another example of people being indiscrete, I wonder how much sensitive data goes off that school site every day in teachers' bags and on flash drives?

I've had people hand me flash drives with presentations on them, and in the same folder as their Powerpoint files is a whole pile of other, clearly far more sensitive material that they really shouldn't be putting in the hands of random people they don't know.

At one charity fundraiser a guy had a large capacity drive which had hundreds of files on it. He was meant to be copying over a logo so it could be added to a presentation, but couldn't remember the exact filename so was struggling to find it. A colleague leaned over his shoulder and did a search for all image files, which popped up a screen full of very legible thumbnails. Most of the thumbnails were not suitable for family viewing. He seemed to be fond of larger ladies.

Anybody interested in radio? Driving along in my van, I heard locally some interesting things on the free, unpoliced PMR446 system.

Induction loops are also interesting when poorly planned. A local council's interview rooms had always-on loops (for 'accessibility') and the overspill extended into the shopping mall behind. I could stand in the mall and overhear what people claiming council tax benefit were saying.

PMR446 does fall under the same interpretation but OFCOM are aware of how many parrot repeaters, and higher power users there sharing just 8 frequencies in analogue. My intention is to provide them with an example of just how easy it is. As the band is licence exempt, and the band uncoordinated, I'm comfy (ish) doing it. There are even people starting to IP link PMR446 channels, and as they're also dabbling in encryption it's getting odd?

I read a very interesting report on the impact of the new size well power station and how it would impact on the deer population on the train to PLASA. Wasn't my report of course, and labelled CONFIDENTIAL, not for distribution, but the fella on his laptop was clearly visible through the gap in the headrests - I did think of sending him an email, but figured that would spook him out!

...and I'm more interested on how the deer were able to get the tickets to get into PLASA - making that journey on-spec would seem quite rash, even for a deer! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Archived