First Aid

adam2

That was my point - the new granules don't cause the problems that my friend was referring to when he expressed concerns about their use - he wasn't referring to current products, he was referring to the older products he had used in the field when he was still in the army, which was some years ago.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on personal experience I'd suggest that entering a new venue you ask where the first aid kit is and can you see it. You might be surprised. The last time I needed one in a venue once they'd found the staffer who had the key to the office and then opened every cupboard when it was found the box was OK but that was about it. I may have mentioned this before but since then I always carry the basics in an old tobacco tin (from a misspent youth). For those who don't know even a minor cut on someone even on only one asprin a day (like me) can get very messy very quickly without being in any way serious.

Simply assume that there is no first aid provision and all casuals wouldn't have the key anyway.

PRE Celox some haemostatic dressings would heat. BUT all wounds that needed haemostats will be trimmed by surgeons before stitching. The value of heamostatics is that they keep the blood inside where it's needed.

• 1 month later...
That kit is expensive because it's a single function treatment. OK it's good for traumatic bleeding of a limb but it's no good for traumatic bleeding of other parts esp the body, neck or head. It's also much more expensive than I'd consider carrying long term "just in case".

To drag this back toward Adam's intention can I remind people that self-employed people have a First Aid duty of care to themselves under the law, daft as it may sound. The scale of First Aid made available is determined, like everything else, by the Risk Assessment.

Junior mentioned asking for the location of First Aid at new venues which is a pet moan of mine. When a venue welcomes the arrival of people who have never worked there before they have a duty to carry out an induction, however brief. Even if only to stop you peeing on the carpets or running away from fire exits in emergency the basics should be done OR ASKED FOR by the visiting worker.

As for Adam's OP it lies in the grey areas not covered by Health and Safety At Work because the punters aren't working. Legally there is no obligation but of course morally there is. The problems arise when one considers indemnifying First Aiders when something they do goes wrong for the punter which then raises conflict with their civil duty of care to render First Aid.

I have no immediate solution other than to thank Adam for raising the topic, several major UK companies have found themselves in the dilemma of trained staff failing to give First Aid to customers. There have been no court cases AFIK. I suspect it has to be tackled on a case by case basis by individual managements. HSE strongly recommends that cover for members of the general public ought to be considered when risk assessments are made. They do not mandate it.