How to calculate the load between two suspension points

DonkiDonki

Can anyone show me how to calculate the load distribution between two hanging points when there is a bar hung from the two points and a single additional load is suspended in turn from the bar but is closer to an end of the bar rather than central?

What I am interested in being able to work out is if a scaff bar is clamped between two Marquee beams where one is already loaded reasonably closely to what is allowed and the other is totally unloaded; is how close to centre the lower load needs to be for the benefit of the second beam (along with the weight of the additional rigging) to be greater than that of simply adding the load to just the one beam?

I can't quite straighten this out in my head, but I think that if the load is between the 2 points then it is always shared evenly between them (plus half the weight of the truss if that's hung evenly spaced)

if the load is outside one of the points then it gets more interesting.

The force is on the beam supports is dependent on the position of the load on the beam. So for example for a 4 metre beam supported at either end, a 100kN point load 1 metre along will result in 75kN of force on the support at 0m and 25kN of force on the support at 4m.

For a static system the sum of the turning moments (force x distance to the point) must be 0 for all points, which might help to think through why this is so.

Have a play with https://bendingmomen...ree-calculator/ which should help explain.

Marquee caveat- remember the "rated loading" on marquee beams also has to Include the weight of linings, chandeliers and absolutely anything else hanging from the frame that isn't the external pvc. If you have a point that is already close to the rated load and there's linings & emergency lights you're possibly already at or over the limit.

Archived