motorising a lazy susan

Dave m

ok

so we have a flints lazy susan on order, but we may need to motorise it.

I was thinking a high torque motor with a tyre in contact with the top? (underneath)

The load would be say, 150kg max and the lazy susan is rated at 450kg

12 v would be ideal and economy is key.

what sort of torque is needed ?

I can meccano style build stuff but need to know it has enough oomph.

or am I just way off?

it will depend on a number of factors

what is the diameter of the rotating piece and its self weight?

will it be center or rim driven?

what sort of speed are you looking at, and how quick will it need to get up to speed?

will the weight be centered, equally distributed, or in one point?

how long will it need to run for?

A person will stand on it for a video. She's probably about 6-7 stone but double that as I might want to use it again?

Probably 5 mins on/ 5 off most of a day ? If it was as easy then a capability of an hour on then a rest would be great.

As used for a video, getting up to speed then shooting is fine - ditto stopping

The weight will be centred over the lazy Susan (30cm) although she'd wiggle/dance

It would be 18mm mdf probably - maybe 60cm diameter if possible

I originally thought that a tyre underneath might work as a drive method?

If the worst comes to the worst I can wrap a rope around it and pull, which kind of works but if making this then the effort may as well make something that is useful afterwards I looked at ebay wheel chair motors but maybe they are out? would a really small 12v motor cope?

The idea is to paint the whole lot green or camouflage it with some fabric for chromakey

As a rough guide, basing it on a 30cm diameter radius of the Lazy Susan with an 80Kgs person is centered driven from the center,

Not allowing for starting inertia or dynamic forces of the person moving, a 10nm (100cm-kgf) torque motor should be enough to run it at 1:1

in motor power that equates to about 0.1Kw (0.15Hp)

I would go for a bigger unit unless gearing it down, especially if you are looking at variable speed.

you will also need to look at the duty cycle of the motor for its running and rest times.

Depending on the motor you use you will need to be aware of shock loads, such as the person stepping onto a moving disc.

The power need is a function of the rotational speed, the rotational speed depends on the speed tolerance and stability of the rotated performer

As I said a rough guide, I had made a rough guess at 8 seconds per revolution (7.5rpm) which is about as fast as you would want to go without feeling dizzy after a couple of spins just to give a guide figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived