Disseration Research

Hi blue room users.

I'm currently a 3rd year Technical Theatre Student at the University Of Derby working towards my final dissertation at university.

If you could take a moment to answer my survey that would be great.

https://www.surveymo...co.uk/r/RG3673X

This question I'm trying to answer is:

How does the use of pre visualisation for lighting and projection affect the production process?

Hopefully you can be of assistance. Also any feedback would be useful.

Thank you

I'm not quite sure what kind of data that will produce - it asks just a single question?Not sure my response really helps that much? What impact visualisation can have on the production process varies in so many ways. I, as an example, only use it for experiments, usually in colour or direction, so could happly live without it, while others doing similar things rely on it?

Do you have any opinions? We could then support these or ask you questions?

Hi Paul,

If you click next button below the question (the initial page you see is just an introduction page) it will show you the full list of questions. I'm trying to get statistical data and peoples opinions.

Its interesting that you use it to experiment with colours but as you say others reply on it; I am very much in that group of people.

I personally believe already have used it for various shows that previsualizing helps and gives a good head start before you get into the venue.

Maybe - but after a while, I started to realise that using ordinary lighting equipment, rather than movers, the results didn't look like the visualisation. It's hard to imagine what some moving effects look like, so this is the primeary use, I guess - but if you were lighting a box set for a play or even a scene in a musical, the set, the floor and most of all, the actual lantern make a big difference. Pick a Fresnel - the spec can give you brightness and beam data, but the light from X might look much nicer than the light from Z, with identical specs. Before I movd to LED washes, I had loads of PAR64s - none of the visualisations looked like the real ones - the fall-off at the beam edge and the odd eliptical beam not really being mimicked that well by software. Fine for say a fan of 64s, but not for individuals making up the picture. I do understand how many people can use them to help their thinking processes, and pre-plotting, stuff like that. Me, however, don't see any pressing need for them once the novelty wore off. Others find them essential. I just wondered how you will temper opinions to the data without asking about genre, quantity and quality of equipment, plus of course the differences in what visualisers can have between them.

Archived