CSCS Card

The JIB cards used to actually reflect time and experience in the industry, but now it takes very little to get one. They've become a worthless shadow of what they used to actually represent.

I used to be proud to have one. But it's just a box ticker now.

To justify my current "anger". I've been nursing my mother on her long slow journey to death on the Isle of Man for the past five years.

In that time all my cards have been randomly expiring because of their financially motivated five year expiry date. There's no facility to do the retests here so my ability to do my trade of 35 years has been ripped out from under my feet by these self serving parasites (IPAF, PASMA etc).

At the same time I'm seeing UK companies employ casual labour off the street and fast-track them through one-day courses and then present them as qualified electrical workers complete with "electricians cards". So you can probably appreciate that I have quite strong feelings about this subject.

I actually booked a flight to Glasgow last year just to do the BS7909 course so I too could tick a box and not look less qualified than Billy box-pusher.

I share your frustration... the industry has moved to try and evidence competence and ability (probably a good thing?) but equally there is a mistaking card possession (which can quickly get diluted by people wanting just the sort of quick fix courses you mention) as proving experience and competence. It's a circular argument but I don't see trade bodies letting up on the card carrying culture...

Archived