Lantern flex

razor

This was discussed here on this very forum - search for Silicone flex turned it up. This from Stage Electrics was one suggestion.

Thanks for this. I did have a look at that tread. My concern is that both suggestions are rated to 180 not 250.

As I understand it, 180oC is fine, assuming the cable does not go directly to the lamp base, which it is unlikely to do since these are not normally re-wireable. In my lantern stock the only ones with original cables that had the temp written on the cable were mark 2 Selecon Acclaims and they said 200oC so I am not sure where the 250oC came from.

You may find that this product from RS p/no 744-0997 is cheaper than Stage LX, assuming that you can sensibly use 25m (always useful to have some in stock!).

I have been told that it needs to be rated 250c or above/

Hmmm. PTFE insulated cable then. Only £600/100m for 3G 0.75!

Basically...

Silicone Rubber is good to 180C

FEP is good to 205C

PTFE is good to 260C

I did once find silicone insulated flex by the metre at a hardware shop, intended for rewiring domestic immersion heaters. B&Q (et al) supply heat resistant flex for the same purpose in small reels -what it's service temperature is you may have to ask or read the label and cable print.

If you really need 250C then ask the makers, the suppliers or their repairers where to get the cable.

I did once find silicone insulated flex by the metre at a hardware shop, intended for rewiring domestic immersion heaters. B&Q (et al) supply heat resistant flex for the same purpose in small reels -what it's service temperature is you may have to ask or read the label and cable print.

If you really need 250C then ask the makers, the suppliers or their repairers where to get the cable.

I believe the B&Q / immersion heater stuff is usually rated to only 85ºC

Dave

I believe the B&Q / immersion heater stuff is usually rated to only 85ºC

^^^^^^^^^^^That.

Immersion heater cable is type 3183TQ with EPR insulation and HOFR sheath. It does not have Silicone insulation/sheath.

Archived