Lighting for performers

Hi I have been assigned the amazing job of delivering a session on stage lighting for performers. This is to introduce dancers, actors and musical theatre students to some fundamental information on stage lighting to enable them to better understand it and to communicate better with their fellow lighting students. Just wondering what areas you guys would suggest would be useful to cover. I only have a 2hr session with each group so I can't go into too much detail and just need to make sure they have a better grasp than the standard 'Can I have blue light please.'

I am looking at introducing a basic look at colour theory and discussing the use of cool and warm colours. Also I am going to look at lighting angles and the effect they can have on visibility and atmosphere. I will hopefully finish (but might run out of time) with a short exercise in how to find your light on stage.

Any thoughts on this would be great. Anything you think is vital for a budding director/choreographer to know.

Thanks

I will hopefully finish (but might run out of time) with a short exercise in how to find your light on stage.

For performers, THIS is probably the MOST important thing to do, so I'd put that front & centre!!

Having done several of these before, I think you're on exactly the right lines. To get them interested in something they might be fairly cool about, I would recommend getting them involved as much as possible - get one person to stand on stage, another to bring up a channel on the desk and the rest to comment on what they see. Then get someone to suggest how you might change things, another person can make the change, the person on stage can swap for someone else and they can all comment again.

As they are performers, the more it is about them the better! B-)

Archived