BTec diploma courses

Hello! Concerned parent here...my daughter's BTec dip course in technical theatre has been cancelled as she starts her 2nd year. She has got her sub-dip from last year, but needs to find somewhere else to complete the course,or start a new one. We're based in Lincolnshire, so looking for East Midlands/South Yorkshire area. Any ideas??

I'd personally put some pressure on the college to find them alternative colleges. Have a read of the learning agreement they make the students sign. They take the funding, and it's a guess that a large chunk of year 2 has already been funded. Local press coverage on how they've left the students in the lurch, and wasted their education etc etc, Seriously though - most colleges when faced with course closure due to either numbers or staffing issues try their hardest to find them alternate provision. You need to speak to them.

Dropping into a second year programme elsewhere can be really tricky if the units they offer are different, as the pathway unit choice is now very specific. Perhaps even talking to BTEC themselves, because they want people to complete and will know who locally might be able to rescue it.

Do talk to everyone, there is usually a rescue plan somewhere.

When I used to work for BTEC and travel around, Hull was always quite good?

Thanks for the ideas; ncn don't have it listed on their web site. We're trying Lincoln and Peterborough at the moment. Hull is a good idea, tho'. She was the only one doing the second year, by linking the practical to perfomance groups - but staffing issues have disrupted everything. Her dad is part of student support services at the college so he trying to get as much help from them already. We will try BTec directly.

Archived