Audio playback using Android device?

Biskit

Hi Guys,

Does anyone use an Android device for show audio playback, either sound effects, backing tracks or music stings? Is it reliable enough? If so, what app do you use?

I have two main uses in mind... 1. to have a selection of ready 'cued up' sounds (music stings or effects) represented on on-screen buttons which I can activate instantly with a single press to start, press again to stop, much like the old-school hot keys units. 2. for general continuous background music playback, or applications requiring auto-cue of next track when one ends, eg in a dance show or for a singer's backing tracks.

I'm interested to hear of any app which can do either or both of the above. Crucially though, in both cases I need to be able to load audio tracks (mp3 and wav as a minimum) by browsing the file system in the old-school way. A major drawback I've found with most 'consumer' music apps is that they try to be too clever and put playlists/albums together based on mp3 data tags for artist/genre/year an such like, however most of my audio is one-offs, home-made effects, backing tracks and such like (without proper tagging), which I have organised in folders in windows, but no app I've found so far for Android allows me to simply play everything in a given folder for example.

Or maybe it is just a bad idea?

I've only just got a Hudl so haven't had a chance to play with it much but if you get the app ES File Explorer (free) it allows you to navigate your device's folders (and I think attached PC if it's plugged in). "Right click" (hold finger) gives a 'right click' menu including 'shortcut' which places a shortcut to the file on the 'desktop'

Tap the shortcut and the file opens if it has an associated app.

ES file explorer also has a 'playlist' function you could look at.

I have "Music folder Player" on my phone because I like to listen to showtunes albums and I want it to play in file order not to sort by title. As far as that goes, you navigate to the directory and it just plays them. That might help part of the problem?

• 5 months later...

I use an app called backing track when I need the track to stop after every sound fx or backing track.

I'm looking for something like the above to run on my Hudl for song playback for a panto (Hudl sound quality is fine for what we want).

There isn't an app called "Backing Track" as such. Do you mean "Backing Track Studio" - a paid-for app - or something else?

Alternatively does anyone have any other suggestions as to something similar?

Cheers :)

+1 for ES File Explorer. I've just used a cheap tablet from CPC with it pre-loaded for a couple of outdoor Remembrance services, & it was simplicity itself. Drag the .wav or mp3 files to the SD card, tap File Explorer. tap 'SD card' & tap the wanted file for an instant start. Numbering your cues sequentially would put them into a play-list, but for auto-cue I guess you need some form of "MultiPlay for Android".

Edit: BlackPlayer may be what you need for continuous play.

Archived