Zero 88 Betapack 2 User Manual

DaveHutton

I've just purchased a couple of Zero 88 Betapack 2 Dimmer Packs. I'm new to DMX (yes, you've guessed I'm an old git) and don't understand the 3 DMX address switches. I need a proper Owner's Manual. The only User Manuals I can find on-line are way short of telling me how to operate the damn things properly. Anyone know of an on-line source for what I want. I suppose I could go to the manufacturer in Cwmbran, but on-line is good if I can. Cheers.

I'm guessing the only thing you found online is the 4-page owners manual? That's, AFAIK, all there is.

Maybe try it out and then come back and ask some specific questions?

The switches set the DMX start address, it uses 6 consecutive channels starting with whatever you set.

The three switches are hundreds, tens, units and set the address between 1 and 512.

start address 001 would be 100s = 0, 10s = 0, 1s = 1

start address 245 would be 100s = 2, 10s = 4, 1s =5

etc

Thanks guys & gals? I am using them in a very conventional way , that is simply to dim lamps e.g. ParCans. I bought an ex-demo Behringer Eurolite LC2412 desk to hook up to them. The first one that arrived didn't work at all (no LEDs lit or the LCD screen). I sent it back and the next one was damaged (buttons broken and no Rackmount Rails). I have just sent that one back, so I guess I need to find an alternative or pay the price for a new one.

The desk is supposed to be capable of running a Smoke Machine with DMX facility. I have one. Where do I connect it to? Is it the Dimmer Pack or run back to the board. Clearly, I don't want to dim it! The LC2412 also has an Analogue output, which is why I chose it, because the Betapack 2s also do Analogue. The control output from the LC2412 is a 15 pin 'D' Sub Connector and the Packs have 8-pin locking Din Connectors, which I'm used to. Anyone know where I can get a 15-pin 'D' sub to 2 x 8 pin Din splitter, or do I have to make one up myself?

Lastly, the Betapack 2 has pre-heat adjustments grouped in twos, but at the top of that is an O/P Level button. Anyone know what that does?

If I tell you that I encountered Rank Strand Grand Master dimmer systems, Junior 8s and Mini 2 systems in my early days, you may understand where I am coming from. Running shoes, four arms and four legs were the order of the day!

Thank you all for your interest.

OK, so it sounds like your betapacks have both DMX and analogue input- correct?

The usual way to connect this up would be

desk DMX out -> first dimmer pack DMX in

first dimmer pack DMX out -> 2nd dimmer pack DMX in

second DMX dimmer pack out -> whatever is next. Smoke machine would be a possibility if it's DMX controllable; whatever, the last device in the chain should have a terminator in the DMX out. This is a 120 ohm resistor across the hot and cold signal lines.

You continue like this, There is a limit of 32 devices chained together - if you need more than 32 devices you use a splitter, but that's unlkily to worry you at the moment.

Now, you want tthe dimmer packs to control 12 lamps, so you can set one pack's start address to 1 and the second pack to 7. This makes channels 1-12 control the packs. If you set the fogger's address to 13 then channel faders 13 onwards would control the fogger. The special buttons on these desks are, as far as I can tell, assigned to channels 25 and 26 so you could set your fogger to address 25 and use the special1/2 buttons to fire the fogger instead (I've not used the LC2412 but this is my understanding from a skim of the manual, but I freely admit I could be completely wrong)..

From the 2 Page instruction leaflet.

Channel Test Switches (Not Betapack 2 Plus)

Each channel has a push on/push off test switch. The

‘on’ level for all channels is set by the test level preset

which is above and to the right of the test switches.

A small screwdriver is required to adjust this control.

Green Channel Output Lights

These are next to the channel test switches and give an

approximate indication of channel output level. They

also show the drive to the triac control elements is

working correctly.

Channel Preheat

Each pair of channels has a preheat adjustment.

These are located next to the Channel Output Lights.

They are used to set the minimum output level of both

channels when the output of any controller connected is

set to zero. A small screwdriver is required to adjust

these controls.

Thanks again guys. I don't have a desk yet, because I sent the second one back. I was thinking of sourcing another LC2412, mostly because it is the only one I have found so far that has both Analogue and DMX options. I paid £115.40 for the two ex-demo ones I had from Music Group Research UK LTD on E-Bay. The price of a new one is around £175.

Do you have any suggestions, Brian? I don't want to spend too much more than I did before. A pension doesn't go that far!

Archived