Research - Logistics Manager for an Exhibition Event

Hello

As part of third year university studies I have been given the role of Logistics Manager for our engineering expo later this month. I am aware of what the role entails having seen several people on the course do it before.

However I am looking for what you think the main roles of a logistics manager for an event would be? Here is some general background:

The event team is divided into four departments:

• Production Management
  • Lighting & Electrics
  • Sound & Video
  • Rigging

I am part of the Production Management team which has the following members:

• Production Manager
  • Floor & Health and Safety Manager
  • Logistics Manager

The event features some 40 exhbibotrs over two days in a large university sports hall.

This research will not only maybe give me things to consider for the event, but also help for the research part of the report afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

Will

It would depend on what you determine logistics to actually mean. It used to be the person who planned the jigsaw, and slotted in everything in sequence, however, nowadays it is usually used to mean the van driver organiser.

We can't possibly help without knowing about it. Why does an engineering expo need lighting and sound - and video??

You are having an engineering exhibition, so are selling stand space, providing electrics and lighting in terms of illumination?

Surely the production team sit down and work out the role themselves from the info they have to hand? I have no idea of the skill set in the team, so without knowing the boundaries of your actual responsibilities, budgets you control, and other really local stuff - we would be guessing. Your titles also worry me a little. The production manager makes it happen, the H&S expert makes sure nobody gets hurt, and you do the humping and hard work? I've no idea why they need a logistics manager as surely, the production manager does all this kind of stuff - unless he simply says X will happen, and you work out how? That makes him a pretty useless production manager.

Hi

Also looking at the OP you say that you know what the role entails as you've seen other people do it over the past years. So why not ask them?! If it's an anuel event there must be records or fit up bible for the departments involved in setting up the exhibition space and break out areas (bar, network area etc)

Then to ask a question like 'What do you think the job is about' is really a bit silly as you already know!

Maybe some more info on the gig would get more constructive replies.

:idea::tearshair:

Hi

Thank you for your replies.

I do understand what the role entails for this event and what is required. I made the post in the research section to get other peoples opinion on the role, to form part of the role research section which will be contained in my final report. I should have probably made this clearer at the start.

Unfortunately we do not decide the roles they are assigned to us by the lecturing team as part of our project management module.

Thanks

Will

Don't forget that educationally, allocated roles often tend to be streets away from what the job title does in the real world - in this case, I'd bet the production manager role has no final authority on anything, no real money and no status above the collaborative one of 'student'. Just keep in mind that the real world heirachy often doesn't work in education, where the staff have the power and the students don't.

Paul.....

Here Here!!

It's such a shame that (as in the 'old days') working placements don't happen anymore, or theatre courses that are vocational/hands on and try stuff out...THEN back it up with the books!

It's always the word 'Manager or Management' now...where have the basic rigging and basic lx and sound,construction and 'hands on' courses gone??

Theatre really is an art that needs people plugging in, pulling a rope and building stuff......Sod the chip and 3d visualizer!!

:wall:

Archived