Starting out

strobe84

Hey guys. So I thought I'd jump on this forum as I'm thinking of getting out of the IT industry and starting a business providing lighting for weddings etc. I'm fairly "green" in terms of knowledge but I've got the basics and have done a couple of gigs for friends of mine but I've always had a keen interest in this game but somehow ended up down the IT route.... So given I'm a newb I thought I'd ask whether you beleive the business to be viable and secondly what equipment I should be starting out with? I have my eyes on some Martin mac 500's and some coemar wash movers at the moment!

Initially, you'll want to hire in your kit - the upfront cost of decent movers or LED fixtures is high, as are the maintenance costs, they're bulky to store in quantity, and in order to make use of them you also need to have distro, cable etc. Don't buy anything at this early stage - hire in what you need for each gig, and work on developing a good relationship with local hire companies. Your starting equipment should be a set of appropriate tools, spares and debugging kit. If you don't know what you'll need, you probably need to work more events as crew for someone else before striking out on your own.

As for whether it's viable, that depends hugely on the market in your area, and your contacts within it.

I am thinking of getting out of event lighting and into brain surgery. Anyone have any thoughts on which scalpels I should start out with? :)

Being a noob is great and all but you'd need to be great at running a business and rely on employing people that are a little more experienced in order for it to a genuine prospect. Why would a customer want your services any more than someone would want me to have a crack at their frontal cortex? If the question is really " I have a hobby that I fancy trying to get a little bit of money back on? " that is entirely different. These things could conceivably grow into something in time, but more often than not only after you have lost a lot of time/money so I guess the question is if you can afford to give up your line of work and take the risk?

I ran a lighting business for 17 years with no lighting equipment I.e as a subcontractor. I agree with Ollie in that there is no need to buy kit to test a market only to find there isn't one. The key resource needed is the ability to win work, not have old lighting kit one found on eBay lying around in the garage. Of course, it's going to hard to remain competitive if your local lighting company has the kit, the skills and the client base. Why would a customer choose you instead and actually allow you to make money?

A good number of times I am asked this kind of question, the situation sounds a little more like a desire to have an excuse to buy toys and fiddle about with kit. A valid reason enough but don't kid yourself on your reasons for wanting the 'business'.

You'll also need to factor in the cost of insurance for Public Liability insurance to cover you invade you damage things or people, and you'll need hired in equipment insurance to ensure that you're covered with either your own kit or the kit you hire from other companies. I'd anticipate it costing several hundred pounds per annum.

You'll also need to consider transport costs and storage too...

You will also need to consider that most mobile DJs have a LOT of kit and go out for peanuts -undercutting all real businesses.

Read the MobilDJforums ( http://www.mobiledjforums.com/ ) you have to sign in but it's free.

Don't throw in the IT job until you have an income stream from event work.

Remember that weddings happen on a Saturday in the Easter to September time, so you have 26 days a year to make your turnover and income -it's hard.

Thanks for the replies guys, a lot of useful information there!

Initially, you'll want to hire in your kit - the upfront cost of decent movers or LED fixtures is high, as are the maintenance costs, they're bulky to store in quantity, and in order to make use of them you also need to have distro, cable etc. Don't buy anything at this early stage - hire in what you need for each gig, and work on developing a good relationship with local hire companies. Your starting equipment should be a set of appropriate tools, spares and debugging kit. If you don't know what you'll need, you probably need to work more events as crew for someone else before striking out on your own.

As for whether it's viable, that depends hugely on the market in your area, and your contacts within it.

Thanks for this, and hiring stuff in is a good shout... however from some light research I beleive the hire availability in my area is kinda limited so may need to look further afield... Alternatively perhaps there's a gap in the market there for equipment hire which could be exploited? As regards tooling, I've got pretty much every electronic/mechanical tool in the book from many years of fiddling with cars, electronics etc so I beleive I should be set - although some specific test tools to make life easier would not go amiss.

A good number of times I am asked this kind of question, the situation sounds a little more like a desire to have an excuse to buy toys and fiddle about with kit. A valid reason enough but don't kid yourself on your reasons for wanting the 'business'.

There is certainly an element of this, but experience has taught me that in fact that having an interest in what you are doing and taking on work of your own accord is 9 times out of 10 the start of something great. I used to be like this with IT.... until I got into management(although some of the experience here would actually be valuable for running a business)

You'll also need to factor in the cost of insurance for Public Liability insurance to cover you invade you damage things or people, and you'll need hired in equipment insurance to ensure that you're covered with either your own kit or the kit you hire from other companies. I'd anticipate it costing several hundred pounds per annum.

You'll also need to consider transport costs and storage too...

Considered this and public liability for cover in the millions of £'s is around £100 per annum. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of insurance for equipment hired in - what would you be expecting to cover?

You will also need to consider that most mobile DJs have a LOT of kit and go out for peanuts -undercutting all real businesses.

Read the MobilDJforums ( http://www.mobiledjforums.com/ ) you have to sign in but it's free.

Don't throw in the IT job until you have an income stream from event work.

Remember that weddings happen on a Saturday in the Easter to September time, so you have 26 days a year to make your turnover and income -it's hard.

Absolutely agree with this, and realistically wouldn't be looking to "give up the day job" straight away. What I might look to do is to return to a more technical role to retain cashflow but reduce overhead.

Don't even start me on Mobile DJ's.....

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to disagree with the "hire don't buy" mongers here. If there really isn't a local hire company to sub in from then maybe this does mean there is a gap in the market.

HOWEVER, as someone who does use local hire companies, the last time I wanted a Mac500 was well over 5 years ago (probably nearer 10). It's like saying "I'm going to hire out computers and I've seen some cheap Windows Vista machines I'm thinking of getting". They were great in their day but that day is long since past. You can get decent usable LED wash fixtures now for a relatively small amount and spots have moved on a long way since the Mac500. Go for modern, up-to-date kit that is good value for money in the range you think your clients' budgets will allow. Most importantly, don't stint on cables, distro, adaptors, spares, decent quality gaffer tape etc. The cost will be higher that you might think, but it's really embarrassing to put a big rig of fantastic new fixtures into a venue and run out of 13A extension leads to power them!

To add to the points made already, I know of someone who has a fairly successful business doing lighting for weddings and other small to medium scale events.

They find it best to purchase outright all the lower technology equipment needed including cables, distro, par 38 uplighters, festoon lighting, chandeliers, and the like. The weekly hire charge can be as much as 25% of the purchase cost, so owned equipment is paid for after only 4 uses, perhaps only 3 uses sometimes.

Higher technology equipment including anything moving, smart or intelligent is hired as needed. The relatively high hire charge is considered worth it for anything they cant repair themselves.

They own an electrical contracting business and the lighting firm is a side-line, but worthwhile. Some equipment such as cables, distro, mobile generators, ladders, scaff tower, vehicles, and some tools are common to both firms with the costs apportioned as advised by an accountant.

Archived