Magic Q Cues

JCC1996

Hi,

I'm just getting started with MagicQ. I'm just trying to get my head round programming a simple cue stack just now. I have it connected to Stairville LED Flood 150 and the simple scenario I'm using just now is trying to go from on full red fading to blackout.

I have recorded the red cue and the blackout cue, but I cannot get it to fade, it just snaps! What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi,

I'm just getting started with MagicQ. I'm just trying to get my head round programming a simple cue stack just now. I have it connected to Stairville LED Flood 150 and the simple scenario I'm using just now is trying to go from on full red fading to blackout.

I have recorded the red cue and the blackout cue, but I cannot get it to fade, it just snaps! What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Joe

What's happening is that the second cue has no red in it. MQ is doing an instant colour change from red to black and then fading the black to zero!

To fix it either record the second cue as red with zero intensity or go to the timings page and change the colour time from 0 to your desired time.

(I think!)

Dave

To elaborate a bit: MagicQ is very flexible in the way that cues are run. Intensity can be faded (or not) and LTP attributes like colour can be faded (or not). You may have simply recorded the cue as a snap (zero seconds) or you may have a cue in which intensity fades but colour snaps. Did you program the blackout by setting the fixture intensity to zero or by setting the red value to zero? The two ways have quite different effects even though they can look the same.

Thanks very much! I've managed to get it working now by programming the B/O as Red = 0 rather than intensity = 0, then setting colour fade time to 5s. I don't have the fixture set up as a 'head' as I believe it is called in the software, I'm just using the channels. I tried to set it as a head, but it didn't work!

Its a long shot, but I don't suppose that there is anyone based in Glasgow or surrounding areas that would be able to spend a few hours showing me the ropes? I'm opping a simple show at the start of Feb and I'd like to be able to programme with some sort of finesse by then!!

Joe :)

I'm a long way from Glasgow so can't help with that ;)

It's worth pursuing getting the head to work correctly as it will be unnecessarily difficult to program if you're just using channels.

• 2 weeks later...

I would commend Rob Sayers guide - http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/lighting-equipment/stage-lighting-control/cham-sys-magicq-pc-free-control/

There is a reasonably good Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/chamsys.users

And the forum page is pretty useful - https://secure.chamsys.co.uk/forum/index.php

And they're all pretty friendly.......just don't mention Avolite...

KC

Archived