Work Experience

madferit101

It's going to be much worse soon - The new BTEC is radically different, so you're on the tail out of a pretty good course. The new version is totally different, and works so differently it will be a shock to many colleges. The old system lets the college have a lot of flexibility and this is pretty wiped out in the one soon to hit the streets. In the old one, somebody got assessed and if the results were not that hot, they could fix it and get re-assessed. That can't happen in the new unless a senior person grants permission - which will be rare. Work is set and skills delivered in a short time period, then like at uni - the students do it, then it's assessed. Done - move on! Next assignment. They all have to be submitted for scrutiny in advance and only then can be used. All the old bendability is gone, and it will be very like an A Level style - but with unique assignments. Much more strict, and pretty well no second chances, like A Levels. Quite radical, and very different. I suspect the people on the tail out of the old one have the better deal. Time will tell if the new one is better or not. It does strike me that the new one will prevent lazy or weak people riding on the skills of the very good ones - which can happen now. It means it will be tougher, and finding 90 hours of the programme time for work experience will be a non-starter. I bet they market it with a great spin, but we'll have to wait.

Just a little hint for people with the same requirement, looking for work experience:

Student - I need 90 hours of Work Experience because my college say I won't finish the course without it. Can you help?

Me - No

Student - I really want to work in theatre and I'd love to get some experience of working in one. Coming to your venue to see what it's like in the real world would be brilliant and, as it happens, would also help me with my coursework. Can you help?

Me - Come in for a chat and we'll see what we can do.

Just a little hint for people with the same requirement, looking for work experience:

Student - I need 90 hours of Work Experience because my college say I won't finish the course without it. Can you help?

Me - No

Student - I really want to work in theatre and I'd love to get some experience of working in one. Coming to your venue to see what it's like in the real world would be brilliant and, as it happens, would also help me with my coursework. Can you help?

Me - Come in for a chat and we'll see what we can do.

Its all about how you present your self.

There are plenty of companies in Manchester to try, I don't know what your transport situation is like but it may be worth contacting VME in Knutsford as I know they have offered people work ex before. Give them a ring and see what they say.

Don't expect to be going out on jobs either, it may be that they offer you warehouse experience which would still be of value. Let's face it, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up, but if you show enthusiasm you'll do well.

Good luck.

Work experience is desirable, and genuinely useful - but is NOT compulsory, so no cause for concern. In the good old days, as in just a short time ago, the work done on work experience could actually count towards grades - on the new system, it must be planned, mapped, assessed, verified and scrutinised - with the process starting before the student even arrives!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived