Recording from an M32 to a Mac?

BigYinUK

Hi folks

Apologies for my ignorance regarding digital desks....

I'm probably going to hire a M32 for a couple of days as I want to have a good look at it (and at some point its less well dressed cousin), and one thing that would be of interest is to use it for recording the band onto a Mac.

Is this going to be easy to achieve, how many channels will I be able to record in one hit? Ideally we'd like to record 24.

Will probably be using Logic on the Mac. Another of my non-expert subjects (Logic not OSX) :)

Any info would be most helpful.

If theres a spare aes50 hole you can use a lynx sound card in an external pci box and then thunderbolt from pci box to the mac to get 24 channels, 2 cards 48 channels but it aint cheap ,however aint the m32 like the x32 and gives 32 outs on usb or firewire

Dead easy. FireWire or usb cable from mixer to Mac.

Last tour we did 32 channels from an X32 into a Mac with Logic. Took about 10 minutes to set up during support band soundcheck.

Cheers,

Peter

32 is no problem on my X32 to my mac via USB or firewire - no difference I can find, although the software is a bit more tricky. Adobe Audition works ok, once you get the sample rates sorted, but I lost a show using audacity - used only because I was running the X32 at 44.1 to read a USB audio file, and Audition refused to lock to it. Once set up properly, it's pretty solid.

I have had some dreadful stability problems with Audition on a Mac once you get over a handful of tracks and start adding effects etc. Its supposedly more stable on a PC which is odd as its usually the other way around! Logic seems pretty stable though from what I've seen. Our keys player is pretty handy with Logic :)

Thanks all for the info - I'm going to a meeting tomorrow to discuss how we might manage recording (video and multi-track sound) at a gig in October. Looks like a M32 or X32 might be a sensible solution as I'm hiring one anyway.

BTW M32 = X32 in a posh frock?

Regards

I have had some dreadful stability problems with Audition on a Mac once you get over a handful of tracks and start adding effects etc. Its supposedly more stable on a PC which is odd as its usually the other way around! Logic seems pretty stable though from what I've seen. Our keys player is pretty handy with Logic :)

Thanks all for the info - I'm going to a meeting tomorrow to discuss how we might manage recording (video and multi-track sound) at a gig in October. Looks like a M32 or X32 might be a sensible solution as I'm hiring one anyway.

BTW M32 = X32 in a posh frock?

Regards

M32 has the following improvements over the X32:

1. Use of MIDAS faders which are rated at 1,000,000 cycles vs Behringer faders that are rated at 300,000 cycles
  2. Use of MIDAS preamps vs Behringer "MIDAS Inspired/designed" preamps
  3. 3 year warranty on all parts vs 1 year warranty on all parts, and 3 year warranty on non-moving parts.
  4. Improved encoders and buttons
  5. A much more solid case
  6. Doesn't have the word "Behringer" on it making it a much more rider friendly mixer

Just my thoughts on these points .....

The Behringer faders have been doing pretty good out in the wild, but it is hard to argue that the MIDAS faders are better.

The MIDAS preamps have a very good reputation for being ear pleasing and easy to eq. I won't go so far as to say they are "better" than the Behringer preamps. I believe you can get an outstanding mix with either.

The 3 year full warranty is way better. I would sleep much better myself knowing I had 3 years instead of only 1.

The encoders, buttons and case .... ehhh.

Behringer is getting to be well received on many riders. For shows that would not accept an X32, they would likely not accept an M32 either (my guess).

I'm putting up a link to an earlier discussions re setting up reaper on a pc laptop to x32 - the m32 will be the same but there may be some differences with mac because of the way that it works.

Never the less I thought you may find it helpful

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=60340&st=15

I should also say that because you are essentially recording raw data (i.e. before eq, before fx and before faders) and because at the recording stage you are not processing with the mac/laptop the actual spec of machine you need is stunningly small.

after the gig, once you have the raw data you can mix it either on the mac/laptop using the same software, or take it into a professional studio or (as I do) play it back through the same desk to mixdown.

final tip - it really helps if you are mixing to have someone else there managing the mac/laptop and marking the tracks - it's not essential but it means the engineer mixing can keep his head in the show rather than the recording.

If theres a spare aes50 hole you can use a lynx sound card in an external pci box and then thunderbolt from pci box to the mac to get 24 channels, 2 cards 48 channels but it aint cheap ,however aint the m32 like the x32 and gives 32 outs on usb or firewire

Dead easy. FireWire or usb cable from mixer to Mac.

Last tour we did 32 channels from an X32 into a Mac with Logic. Took about 10 minutes to set up during support band soundcheck.

Cheers,

Peter

note on the m32 you can only use USB - only the older xuf card for the early x32s support FireWire. But no probs I often record 32 ch to reaper with no issues (PC)

Archived