Yamaha QL1 touchscreen quality

RichM

I'm using a QL1 today for the first time in anger (other than a quick go in a warehouse). Are the touch screens utterly appalling on all of them, or is this desk a dud?

Selecting things often requires several stabs of a finger, it isn't very precise, and the response towards the edges of the screen is woeful.

It also seems to be a resistive screen rather than a capacitive one, do Yamaha not like modern tech? :D

It's a shame, because the desk itself is great in terms of features (auto mix, yay!) and sound quality, but this interface is driving me round the bend...

It also seems to be a resistive screen rather than a capacitive one, do Yamaha not like modern tech? :D

Resistive can be more suitable for these types of uses though. I often use a sharpie to operate the touch screen on Pearl Experts, Tiger Touch's and Vi's. And they're not affected by being in a warm, sweaty room, unlike the capacitive panel on disasterpiece's.

To recalibrate try booting with the "sceen memory" held down this should open up the config page similar to what you would find on LS9. from here you can calibrate the screen.

In terms of accurace and speed of use the screen used is one of the best touch screens in use across the range of modern digital consoles. Also I have noticed that long finger nails can make using touch screens a bit tricky...

Archived