Stage management

Gemma~

I hate to be /that guy/ but I think the most important thing you should be focusing on is spelling, punctuation and grammar - you're currently all over the place (especially in the PM you sent me) and making some really basic SPaG mistakes; since Stage Management is about the only branch of theatre production that HAS to produce written reports and clearly convey quite precise messages through the written word it is an essential skill that you need to get nailed now. It's a simple fact-of-life that if you apply for SM jobs using poor SPaG you won't even make it to the interview stage.

Your personal statement should be just that - a simple statement by you, about you related to the course you're applying for; it's a jumping off point for them to understand you and your take on the world, they've got your CV / qualifications to tell them what you've specifically done. Your Personal Statement is the icing on the cake...

Looking through the SM staff I employ or choose to work with it's safe to say that Bristol features in their backgrounds more than any other establishment - they have a good reputation for producing people who know how to work in real situations and on real projects.

I don't really focus on grammar online as much. For a personal statement or actual work I do. Thanks for the advice though :)

Thank you :)

Not to drag this off topic, but:

where I live is a tiny little place where I can't get decent experience unless I moved away, which I can't afford to do.

How is it that you can't afford to move away for a job, but you can afford to move away for university? Student rent isnt' drastically cheaper than professional rent, and where it is it's only because landlords get away with renting total dives to people who can't afford to argue.

I'll probably use moving to a university in a city as a way to gain experience in bigger places and hopefully it'll lead to something more. If not life goes on and I'll still learn from it

This is a very valid point and something you should definitely do. However, as I suggested before, you could consider a less specific degree and still undertake practical work in the same industry. Generally employers do not see university as pre-employment training. They see university as helping the way in which you approach problems and find solutions; whilst prior experience in a similar role is better for proving your actual ability to do your job.

In any case, the best thing for you to do is come up with a solid plan for your next 5-10 years and what you can see yourself doing and how / where / when you do it. It doesn't have to be detailed - but knowing where you want to end up will help you tailor your entire university experience - from choosing a course and an establishment, through to graduation - to the outcome which you want to achieve. They say the way to write a good essay is to know what the ending is when you write the start, and not allow the essay to be your thought process, ending in an unknown place. But really that's the ideal way to treat the entire process.

In line with Tom's point about where good SMs come from... the nice thing about British universities is the statistics are quite accessible. One useful set of statistics is the first destination employment statistics - in particular, the figures for the number of graduates from a course taking up first destination employment (IE first job) in the industry of their study. Whilst there is a bit of freedom to bend the results (as per all statistics! But like - a music student who lands a job in HMV should probably be bracketed into "retail" but may be bracketed into "music sales" for the benefit of good stats) it does generally give a good pointer into how many students in an establishment are finding solid work post-uni. Another good resource is to just trawl through Stage Jobs Pro and LinkedIn - you can look at the profiles of people who are doing similar jobs to those you think you might like to apply for in the future, and many of their profiles will share their university details, and you may notice trends in where they've come from, which will give you a solid boost in choosing the right course.

Er, are we not talking about university personal statements? Most of this stuff is totally irrelevant to this rather specific box on a form. You aren't applying for a job, you aren't trying to convince them you can do their job already - you want a place on a course, and are trying to show you will be a good student. Any attempt to come across as completely trained and work ready might mean they will worry your views and work ethic are already fixed - some unis want you to work their way, and no other - so all this CV talk seems a bit misplaced?

Sorry my post was more generalised choosing the right course to begin with material. Personal statement meaning the application is not in yet and it's an important time to take a more critical look at what the course entails and that university isn't about doing 3 years of what you think is fun in life so much as what might actually make you enough money that one day you can buy your own house and send your kids to a decent school.

Anything we can do to stop another person - plus any amount of others who stumble upon this thread - from joining the massively overqualified theatre casuals with a student debt of 3 times their salary segment of the industry should be consider a constructive step to take.

I'm going to try to drag this back on point

Welcome to the Blue Room Gemma!

I made a successful application to Guildhall for their TT course a couple of years ago, just about to start my third year. Something our tutors look for particularly is passion, and a willingness to learn. You can have a huge amount of experience, knowledge or technical skills, but ultimately, that's what you would be going there to learn!

If you can demonstrate a love for the industry, a passion for theatre, (or music or ballet or whatever live art it is that you enjoy) and a willingness to learn and absorb everything that they teach; then that will set you in good standing in the eyes of a tutor. Make yourself somebody that they would want to teach and share their knowledge with!

Hope that helps!

As an aside, if you've not looked/looking at the Guildhall course, you really should!

http://www.gsmd.ac.u...al_theatre.html

Well done on getting in! I've been looking at Guildhall actually but I'm not sure whether to apply there or CSSD. Do you do a lot of practical work at Guildhall, working on actual performances? what are the tutors like?

Did you have experience before you went to Guildhall? I'm trying to include that although I'm struggling to fit everything into my statement! It's so much more difficult than I expected. Thank you for your help! :) (sorry for all the questions D: )

Thanks. I'm studying on the Theatre technology pathway (lighting, sound, PM/TM). I work incredibly closely with the Stage Management pathway. Between the two departments and with Design realisation (Scenic carpenters, construction and props) we facilitate over 12 productions a year, supported by staff.

First year is split 60/40; 60% Practical, show related work/40% written work, lectures, history of theatre but second and third year are at least 80% practical show related work.

If you need any more info about the course then feel free to PM me!

I had the same problem. I had a variety of past experience and trying to cram it all in was a real struggle. The good thing is that everyone at Guildhall gets an interview. Its a day long process including a semi-formal panel interview, a great opportunity to explore further on past experience, ambitions and to show any portfolio you may have.

As an aside.

Four years ago when I decided I wanted to work in the industry, I explored all the options available to me. University, warehouse work and move up, apprenticeships; the lot. I concluded that, for me, I wanted to go to university in London. Although I had some great offers open to me, including offers from other uni's; Guildhall gave me an unconditional offer which sealed the deal.

I now freelance outside of Guildhall and that is largely down to being in London, where I have made contacts. Many people like myself could not afford to move to a large city without the support of student loans and maintenance grants. Regardless of the debt that I may accumulate from my time at uni, I now know that I have enough contacts to make a living as a freelancer and the ability, knowledge and professionalism to be good at it, in turn giving me income to live comfortably and pay off that debt!

Do what's right for you.

Not to drag this off topic, but:

where I live is a tiny little place where I can't get decent experience unless I moved away, which I can't afford to do.

How is it that you can't afford to move away for a job, but you can afford to move away for university? Student rent isnt' drastically cheaper than professional rent, and where it is it's only because landlords get away with renting total dives to people who can't afford to argue.

I'll probably use moving to a university in a city as a way to gain experience in bigger places and hopefully it'll lead to something more. If not life goes on and I'll still learn from it

This is a very valid point and something you should definitely do. However, as I suggested before, you could consider a less specific degree and still undertake practical work in the same industry. Generally employers do not see university as pre-employment training. They see university as helping the way in which you approach problems and find solutions; whilst prior experience in a similar role is better for proving your actual ability to do your job.

In any case, the best thing for you to do is come up with a solid plan for your next 5-10 years and what you can see yourself doing and how / where / when you do it. It doesn't have to be detailed - but knowing where you want to end up will help you tailor your entire university experience - from choosing a course and an establishment, through to graduation - to the outcome which you want to achieve. They say the way to write a good essay is to know what the ending is when you write the start, and not allow the essay to be your thought process, ending in an unknown place. But really that's the ideal way to treat the entire process.

In line with Tom's point about where good SMs come from... the nice thing about British universities is the statistics are quite accessible. One useful set of statistics is the first destination employment statistics - in particular, the figures for the number of graduates from a course taking up first destination employment (IE first job) in the industry of their study. Whilst there is a bit of freedom to bend the results (as per all statistics! But like - a music student who lands a job in HMV should probably be bracketed into "retail" but may be bracketed into "music sales" for the benefit of good stats) it does generally give a good pointer into how many students in an establishment are finding solid work post-uni. Another good resource is to just trawl through Stage Jobs Pro and LinkedIn - you can look at the profiles of people who are doing similar jobs to those you think you might like to apply for in the future, and many of their profiles will share their university details, and you may notice trends in where they've come from, which will give you a solid boost in choosing the right course.

I'll have the student finance support and I've looked into accommodation for all of them and it worked out I'd be able to afford living from that.

Thats very helpful. Thank you so much :)

I'm going to try to drag this back on point

Welcome to the Blue Room Gemma!

I made a successful application to Guildhall for their TT course a couple of years ago, just about to start my third year. Something our tutors look for particularly is passion, and a willingness to learn. You can have a huge amount of experience, knowledge or technical skills, but ultimately, that's what you would be going there to learn!

If you can demonstrate a love for the industry, a passion for theatre, (or music or ballet or whatever live art it is that you enjoy) and a willingness to learn and absorb everything that they teach; then that will set you in good standing in the eyes of a tutor. Make yourself somebody that they would want to teach and share their knowledge with!

Hope that helps!

As an aside, if you've not looked/looking at the Guildhall course, you really should!

http://www.gsmd.ac.u...al_theatre.html

Well done on getting in! I've been looking at Guildhall actually but I'm not sure whether to apply there or CSSD. Do you do a lot of practical work at Guildhall, working on actual performances? what are the tutors like?

Did you have experience before you went to Guildhall? I'm trying to include that although I'm struggling to fit everything into my statement! It's so much more difficult than I expected. Thank you for your help! :) (sorry for all the questions D: )

Thanks. I'm studying on the Theatre technology pathway (lighting, sound, PM/TM). I work incredibly closely with the Stage Management pathway. Between the two departments and with Design realisation (Scenic carpenters, construction and props) we facilitate over 12 productions a year, supported by staff.

First year is split 60/40; 60% Practical, show related work/40% written work, lectures, history of theatre but second and third year are at least 80% practical show related work.

If you need any more info about the course then feel free to PM me!

I had the same problem. I had a variety of past experience and trying to cram it all in was a real struggle. The good thing is that everyone at Guildhall gets an interview. Its a day long process including a semi-formal panel interview, a great opportunity to explore further on past experience, ambitions and to show any portfolio you may have.

As an aside.

Four years ago when I decided I wanted to work in the industry, I explored all the options available to me. University, warehouse work and move up, apprenticeships; the lot. I concluded that, for me, I wanted to go to university in London. Although I had some great offers open to me, including offers from other uni's; Guildhall gave me an unconditional offer which sealed the deal.

I now freelance outside of Guildhall and that is largely down to being in London, where I have made contacts. Many people like myself could not afford to move to a large city without the support of student loans and maintenance grants. Regardless of the debt that I may accumulate from my time at uni, I now know that I have enough contacts to make a living as a freelancer and the ability, knowledge and professionalism to be good at it, in turn giving me income to live comfortably and pay off that debt!

Do what's right for you.

That sounds pretty good. I'd definitely prefer a course that does a lot of practical work. At college now most of our work is practical and it makes it so much more enjoyable.

It's a shame most places don't allow more people an interview. I feel like I'm awful at writing about myself and it's worrying me I won't get far from it. Did you focus your personal statement on talking about a couple of shows you've worked on or did you try and fit as much of your experience as you could in?

Thats amazing. I want to go to London for that reason! Do you find living in London difficult due to it being quite expensive or does your student loan cover most of it?

I'm glad you understand the loans and grants part, I feel most people don't and it becomes a large problem for them :S

Thank you so much.

Fingers has said a lot of useful stuff, and I've got to say that the personal statement and portfolio that he presented to the Guildhall were really very good (I checked them over for him). It's been great fun to watch him learn so much and completely overtake me in terms of experience and ability (It's not that hard really! :D There's an old saying about the student becoming the master...).

I've helped a few people write personal statements and University applications over the years (which is a little odd, as I never went myself, but all of them were successful as were my own applications even though I never took them up) and one of the big things that I think it's important to remember is to present a sense of balance. That is, it's important to show your experience and abilities, but it's also helpful to show that you're a "real person". Do you play a musical instrument? - tell them. Do you play any sports? - tell them. It need only be a sentence, but when I'm interviewing somebody for a job I want to know that they function as a person as well as an engineer.

Archived