Stage management

Gemma~

Hello!

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with my personal statement?

I am hoping to apply for a stage management/Technical theatre course at university for 2015 entry but I can't really find anything to help me know what to add in it.

I have experience with technical theatre and stage management at college and for various productions I help with outside of college. Is there anything specific I should avoid putting in etc?

Thanks in advance,

Gemma~

^^^ Exactly that! What you do and what motivates you to do it and why and how you intend to do it and make your living at it. Add to that just a little evidence that you are a rounded person with some other knowledge and interests.

Somewhere you must find space for your relevant experience gained at college or as part of am dram or pro theatre.

This box on the form usually gives selectors and interviewers something to start with, to open the conversation with.

^^^ Exactly that! What you do and what motivates you to do it and why and how you intend to do it and make your living at it. Add to that just a little evidence that you are a rounded person with some other knowledge and interests.

Somewhere you must find space for your relevant experience gained at college or as part of am dram or pro theatre.

This box on the form usually gives selectors and interviewers something to start with, to open the conversation with.

Thank you! My other interests are so boring so I won't need much room for that haha.

As I want to be a stage manager, do you think its more important for me to mention my experience in that area or should I try and include a small bit of everything?

Welcome to the Blue Room Gemma!

I made a successful application to Guildhall for their TT course a couple of years ago, just about to start my third year. Something our tutors look for particularly is passion, and a willingness to learn. You can have a huge amount of experience, knowledge or technical skills, but ultimately, that's what you would be going there to learn!

If you can demonstrate a love for the industry, a passion for theatre, (or music or ballet or whatever live art it is that you enjoy) and a willingness to learn and absorb everything that they teach; then that will set you in good standing in the eyes of a tutor. Make yourself somebody that they would want to teach and share their knowledge with!

Hope that helps!

As an aside, if you've not looked/looking at the Guildhall course, you really should!

http://www.gsmd.ac.uk/technical_theatre.html

Just remember to be honest, every weasel word and fudge has been spotted before, and will hinder your placement. NUMEROUS times someone has claimed to be "lighting director" at an event only to find that their interviewer had been the LD and didn't recognise them, -it devalues your remaining CV.

Welcome to the Blue Room Gemma!

I made a successful application to Guildhall for their TT course a couple of years ago, just about to start my third year. Something our tutors look for particularly is passion, and a willingness to learn. You can have a huge amount of experience, knowledge or technical skills, but ultimately, that's what you would be going there to learn!

If you can demonstrate a love for the industry, a passion for theatre, (or music or ballet or whatever live art it is that you enjoy) and a willingness to learn and absorb everything that they teach; then that will set you in good standing in the eyes of a tutor. Make yourself somebody that they would want to teach and share their knowledge with!

Hope that helps!

As an aside, if you've not looked/looking at the Guildhall course, you really should!

http://www.gsmd.ac.u...al_theatre.html

Thank you :)

Well done on getting in! I've been looking at Guildhall actually but I'm not sure whether to apply there or CSSD. Do you do a lot of practical work at Guildhall, working on actual performances? what are the tutors like?

Did you have experience before you went to Guildhall? I'm trying to include that although I'm struggling to fit everything into my statement! It's so much more difficult than I expected. Thank you for your help! :) (sorry for all the questions D: )

Just remember to be honest, every weasel word and fudge has been spotted before, and will hinder your placement. NUMEROUS times someone has claimed to be "lighting director" at an event only to find that their interviewer had been the LD and didn't recognise them, -it devalues your remaining CV.

I'd be too scared if I lied then they found out. It's not worth it.

That must have been so awkward. :S

Thank you

You need to do some research and find the courses that you really most want to study however the application forms will be similar. The personal statement is probably the most important piece, it's where the interviewers find out about you not your prior teachers. What you want to do and why, are the most important aspects but proof that you are a rounded person are vitally important. A hobby is essential, mention one that you really understand. Usually the interviewers will pick something from the personal statement to change the conversation from yes and no answers based on your school and exam results to discussable questions like what do you think of...

I pretty much only read the personal statement in order to pick candidates for interview via UCAS application. We read hundreds and I rarely ever read the tutor's statement.

Our admissions tutor advises us on projected UCAS points and the statement is where you win your interview. We look for demonstrable interest and understanding of the subject which basically means having done something:am dram, school shows, casual work of relevance etc.

We also look for something "other", D of E, music, hobby, volunteering that kind of thing. Something extra gets extra points in the scoring system.

Obviously, an engaging and well edited statement gets a better look.

Good luck.

The personal statement is also where you demonstrate your ability to engage people with your words, to show that you can construct a sentence, and maybe to show that your handwriting is legible or better. This is the bit where the interviewers need to like you, so well laid out perfect English will be good.

NUMEROUS times someone has claimed to be "lighting director" at an event only to find that their interviewer had been the LD and didn't recognise them, -it devalues your remaining CV.

It can be even simpler than that - as in, that'd be an unlucky coincidence. An easier way to trip yourself up is to write "I can program an ETC Ion" in your CV, and then the interviewer has the simple ability to ask "I see you can program an ETC Ion... can you explain how you would do XYZ" and if what you really mean is you once opped a show on an Ion which somebody else had programmed, you will be stuck and the rest of your CV will be taken with a pinch of salt. I advertised a position last year and got a lot of responses - and I had some CVs which were very impressive for 20 year olds and some seemingly underwhelming for 30 year olds. I did first line 'technical interviews' over Skype with examples such as the above, and really took a chunk out of the pile of CVs from people who talked a good game but evidently couldn't play it.

On a second note, bear in mind this is a University application, not a job application. As such, your ability to actually Stage Manage is not of great importance. Not just because it will be the subject of your learning anyway, but also because at degree level your primary function will be critical analysis, discussions, theses of stage management. Of course there will be practical elements - but what the university is looking for is somebody who can absorb the learning materials, question the things they are told with reasoned argument, and hand in high quality assignments to pass the course. This is a very different requirement to applying for an SM position at a working theatre where the employer will be looking for somebody who can SM night after night, with changing shows and personnel, without hold up. The two are quite separate.

If you're still at the application stage, I would also add... University is now going to cost you £9,000 a year. Which is, by all accounts, a lot of money. That's £27,000 by the time you've finished - which in many parts of the country will put a deposit on a house. And that's before you factor in the money you are not earning because you're not in a job. If you add that in - at 15k a year for an entry level position - you could be £70,000 worse off by the end of the year which in any part of the country will put a deposit on a house. SO - are you really sure you want to do a degree in stage management? Is it really the right step? Have you made contact with some of the big theatrical employers in the UK and asked them what they value in a new stage manager? Is stage management something you will want to do for the next 40-50 years? I am of the opinion that it's an extremely niche subject which, in the (more than plausible) event that you can't find an SM gig on graduation, is of no more value than any other niche degree, and of little more value than no degree at all. There are broader technical theatre courses with study of numerous disciplines, which may be worth considering so that on graduation if your first choice job is just not happening, there are other trades which you can relate your degree too as well. You should also consider the fact that 3 years of studying stage management might simply teach you that you don't really want to be a stage manager. Don't discount that possibility is stupid - when I was a new student (I studied Music) I wanted to work at a label. By mid-way through my first year I was even interning at Sony. And by the end of my second year... I was a frequent face in the loading dock of the O2, packing trucks and showing very little interest in record labels. In-depth study of record labels, their present situation and their future, only served to teach me that I didn't want to work for one. So sorry to take this a tad off topic but do consider it and consider what your post-university options are. And ask yourself whether 3 years would be better spent crewing shows from the bottom upwards. There is no hard and fast rule that you can only get a degree in your late teens, my best friend is in his 30s and doing extremely well in an open university degree.

Op - to be honest before you go all out and send off the application (for it is hell) I really would go round and talk to uni's on open days and see what they have, it's worth it before you send in. I did, got in and decided to do something else. I have a bunch of friends / students who went through GSA and Old vic doing SM all doing really well as both courses are very open in their skill teaching in the 1st 18months 2 years AFAIK (this might have changed). I also had some STUNNING ALRA students doing work experience. Really very good.

If you look about I am sure there are similar questions (dont use the search its crap google site:blue-room.org.uk insert search here )

Talking to everyone I have worked with we all have some form of agreement that "I will do my hardest to do what I can do to make your show happen." Lines similar to that have ended up with students in uni.

You need to do some research and find the courses that you really most want to study however the application forms will be similar. The personal statement is probably the most important piece, it's where the interviewers find out about you not your prior teachers. What you want to do and why, are the most important aspects but proof that you are a rounded person are vitally important. A hobby is essential, mention one that you really understand. Usually the interviewers will pick something from the personal statement to change the conversation from yes and no answers based on your school and exam results to discussable questions like what do you think of...

I've found the courses and the specific schools/universities I'm going to apply to.

Do you think it'd be better to focus most of my experience on one project I've done? I was told not to list the show's I've done without explaining what you've learnt etc because it's just a waste of space.

NUMEROUS times someone has claimed to be "lighting director" at an event only to find that their interviewer had been the LD and didn't recognise them, -it devalues your remaining CV.

It can be even simpler than that - as in, that'd be an unlucky coincidence. An easier way to trip yourself up is to write "I can program an ETC Ion" in your CV, and then the interviewer has the simple ability to ask "I see you can program an ETC Ion... can you explain how you would do XYZ" and if what you really mean is you once opped a show on an Ion which somebody else had programmed, you will be stuck and the rest of your CV will be taken with a pinch of salt. I advertised a position last year and got a lot of responses - and I had some CVs which were very impressive for 20 year olds and some seemingly underwhelming for 30 year olds. I did first line 'technical interviews' over Skype with examples such as the above, and really took a chunk out of the pile of CVs from people who talked a good game but evidently couldn't play it.

On a second note, bear in mind this is a University application, not a job application. As such, your ability to actually Stage Manage is not of great importance. Not just because it will be the subject of your learning anyway, but also because at degree level your primary function will be critical analysis, discussions, theses of stage management. Of course there will be practical elements - but what the university is looking for is somebody who can absorb the learning materials, question the things they are told with reasoned argument, and hand in high quality assignments to pass the course. This is a very different requirement to applying for an SM position at a working theatre where the employer will be looking for somebody who can SM night after night, with changing shows and personnel, without hold up. The two are quite separate.

If you're still at the application stage, I would also add... University is now going to cost you £9,000 a year. Which is, by all accounts, a lot of money. That's £27,000 by the time you've finished - which in many parts of the country will put a deposit on a house. And that's before you factor in the money you are not earning because you're not in a job. If you add that in - at 15k a year for an entry level position - you could be £70,000 worse off by the end of the year which in any part of the country will put a deposit on a house. SO - are you really sure you want to do a degree in stage management? Is it really the right step? Have you made contact with some of the big theatrical employers in the UK and asked them what they value in a new stage manager? Is stage management something you will want to do for the next 40-50 years? I am of the opinion that it's an extremely niche subject which, in the (more than plausible) event that you can't find an SM gig on graduation, is of no more value than any other niche degree, and of little more value than no degree at all. There are broader technical theatre courses with study of numerous disciplines, which may be worth considering so that on graduation if your first choice job is just not happening, there are other trades which you can relate your degree too as well. You should also consider the fact that 3 years of studying stage management might simply teach you that you don't really want to be a stage manager. Don't discount that possibility is stupid - when I was a new student (I studied Music) I wanted to work at a label. By mid-way through my first year I was even interning at Sony. And by the end of my second year... I was a frequent face in the loading dock of the O2, packing trucks and showing very little interest in record labels. In-depth study of record labels, their present situation and their future, only served to teach me that I didn't want to work for one. So sorry to take this a tad off topic but do consider it and consider what your post-university options are. And ask yourself whether 3 years would be better spent crewing shows from the bottom upwards. There is no hard and fast rule that you can only get a degree in your late teens, my best friend is in his 30s and doing extremely well in an open university degree.

That's helpful, thank you :)

I understand that the cost of university is expensive, but if you look into paying it all back it isn't actually a big issue. I know I want to try and become a stage manager and I'm using university as a chance to learn and gain more experience to improve my own skills and work in a completely new environment but with the comfort of having the support of a school/university. The stage management courses im applying for also teach you a great deal of the more technical aspect, like lighting and sound and doesnt specifically focus on stage. It's just many of the courses are 'Stage management and technical theatre'.

I would like to go straight into work, but I don't really have the confidence to do that. Plus where I live is a tiny little place where I can't get decent experience unless I moved away, which I can't afford to do. I'll probably use moving to a university in a city as a way to gain experience in bigger places and hopefully it'll lead to something more. If not life goes on and I'll still learn from it :)

Op - to be honest before you go all out and send off the application (for it is hell) I really would go round and talk to uni's on open days and see what they have, it's worth it before you send in. I did, got in and decided to do something else. I have a bunch of friends / students who went through GSA and Old vic doing SM all doing really well as both courses are very open in their skill teaching in the 1st 18months 2 years AFAIK (this might have changed). I also had some STUNNING ALRA students doing work experience. Really very good.

If you look about I am sure there are similar questions (dont use the search its crap google site:blue-room.org.uk insert search here )

Talking to everyone I have worked with we all have some form of agreement that "I will do my hardest to do what I can do to make your show happen." Lines similar to that have ended up with students in uni.

I'm going to the earliest open days I can, although a few of them are going to be after I send my application. I've looked online and found out a few thing's they ask for, but they usually just write they want you to have a keen interest in the course and desire to learn :)

I've been looking into Old Vic although I'm not sure about it now.

Thats so helpful, thank you!

I hate to be /that guy/ but I think the most important thing you should be focusing on is spelling, punctuation and grammar - you're currently all over the place (especially in the PM you sent me) and making some really basic SPaG mistakes; since Stage Management is about the only branch of theatre production that HAS to produce written reports and clearly convey quite precise messages through the written word it is an essential skill that you need to get nailed now. It's a simple fact-of-life that if you apply for SM jobs using poor SPaG you won't even make it to the interview stage.

Your personal statement should be just that - a simple statement by you, about you related to the course you're applying for; it's a jumping off point for them to understand you and your take on the world, they've got your CV / qualifications to tell them what you've specifically done. Your Personal Statement is the icing on the cake...

Looking through the SM staff I employ or choose to work with it's safe to say that Bristol features in their backgrounds more than any other establishment - they have a good reputation for producing people who know how to work in real situations and on real projects.

Archived