displaying a clock on a tablet on stage so it can be

bal4

Hi, long time lurker here.

I have been tasked to get an office sized clock on stage for a production. The time on the clock needs to be controllable from the tech box for different scenes though at each time it will run in real time.

Ideally I would like to do this with a prop clock but it would be no easy solution to make it controllable .

Plan b is to just use a tablet with a play list of videos for the clock times (probably digital). However I am struggling to control this remotely.

At present the only way I can actually do this is steaming the video from a laptop in the box to the tablet so I can control the playlist there. This obviously has lots of margin for error.

Has anyone found an elegant solution to controlling videos remotely on tablets or controlling clocks? Obviously budget is tight or I could go for a monitor, pc and vlc.

No idea were to find one,but sounds like you need a synchronized clock,very common in offices and factorys many moons ago,change the time on the master clock and all the clocks attached to it would also change

Not straight away though. You had to manually pulse them round to the new time, 1 minute at a time (lots of jiggling of a switch on the old-style ones, used to do this for British Rail. They only go forwards so putting them back an hour was a bummer)

When we did Cinderella a couple of years ago I made a movement out of Meccano and put a stepper motor in it. Drove it from an Arduino which also decoded voltages from a remote control pad with buttons for slow, fast, reverse and stop. And it kept real time! It was a fun little project for learning about the Arduino. Do you need a digital or analogue display?

Dave

I am definitely considering five clocks or the cast changing the clock time during blackout. This will obviously dictate the clock design chosen. Sometimes technology is not the best answer.

The tablet I plan to use is android though I have an iPad available. However I do not have a Mac at this point.

I am interested in synchronised clocks and maybe hacking a radio controlled clock but I don't fancy my chances.

Thanks for the workable solutions guys. Further suggestions always welcome.

When we did Cinderella a couple of years ago I made a movement out of Meccano and put a stepper motor in it. Drove it from an Arduino which also decoded voltages from a remote control pad with buttons for slow, fast, reverse and stop. And it kept real time! It was a fun little project for learning about the Arduino. Do you need a digital or analogue display?

Dave

Either digital or analogue as long as it looks like a posh office. Ideally it needs to jump time immediately or very quickly. I'm just getting confirmation on the times it needs to display but I'm pretty sure they go up in hour increments each scene with a final jump from about 1800 to 0900.

You could use an App such as Team Viewer on the Andriod or Apple device with it showing a full screen shot. This would them mimic your laptop screen so whatever was on the laptop would be on the Tablet. That way controlling your playlist with start and stop etc would be accessible, You would need wireless access though.

Only suggest this as we did a similar thing last week for a conference. It seemed to work quite nicely

I've heard of gobo rotators being used to control the movement of the hands. Indexable so you don't have to worry about whether it's stopping in the right place. Also being DMX you can set a background cue to do a slow 'real time' movement

Brian did once have a DMX clock fully controllable, See whether he still has and if it's to your liking and hireable.

Consider whether a tablet has a suitable viewing angle for all the audience to see the time, before you commit to that method. Can you use a standard clock -well five of them, on a turntable so that during a distraction the clock actually changes to another clock?

I built a nice fully (DMX) controllable clock for a recent show:

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/digiclock.jpg

Can be set in darkness, and then faded up with the lights, whereupon it will run in real time. Can run faster than real time too.

It is built from an Adafruit 16x32 RGB display panel, using a Parallax mini propellor processor board; a couple of picture frames and a gallon of hot glue and the jobs a goodun. You're welcome to the code should you want it!

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/digiclock_behind.jpg

No idea were to find one,but sounds like you need a synchronized clock,very common in offices and factorys many moons ago,change the time on the master clock and all the clocks attached to it would also change

Not straight away though. You had to manually pulse them round to the new time, 1 minute at a time (lots of jiggling of a switch on the old-style ones, used to do this for British Rail. They only go forwards so putting them back an hour was a bummer)

These are "Pulsynetic" clocks. (fan site).

I've used one of these for a production too, they advance 30 seconds when 12V is applied to the solenoid.

This is such a pain I wrote some software to manage these, it let the clock be set easily and reliably. Still takes a while to get round the dial for reset though...

http://davidbuckley.name/pix/pulsynetic_software.jpg

Archived