Stupid and mostly irrelevant ETC Gio question.

Bryson

Now, disclaimer: This is not really a big deal, but I'd like to know anyway....

When I boot my new Gio, all the buttons on the front light up in many colours like a Christmas tree...and then turn white...and stay white all the time. Is there a reason they have RGBW LEDs in them? Some function I haven't come across yet? Or for future expansion, maybe...?

Here's a pic of the beast in situ:

http://i.imgur.com/ybl6UHp.jpg

(Turns out that an Expression 3 is exactly the same width as a Gio + Fader wing, which is handy! No need to recut that recess in the desk there.)

Reason being is likely good forward thinking on the part of the hardware designers.

God knows how many times a console has gotten half way through its life cycle and the developers and or users alike have said "if only we'd have included X".

The likelihood is, there was next to no cost difference between normal LED backlit keys and RGBW ones. I think they are just RGB actually. There are some instances were the colours are used at the moment I think... Scroll lock??

Having the hardware there from the outset means they can add stuff later down the line that has either yet to be coded or yet to even be conceived..

Thanks.

Yeah, the camera angle isn't the best here. The view of the stage is totally unobstructed if you're sitting in the operator or stage manager seats. You can also fold down the Gio screens a bit if you want to see the first few rows of audience.

That makes sense Joe - future expansion. Actually I just found that one of the keys turns green when you're in that mode. I'd quite like it if there was a visible indicator that you were in blind on the key backlights - like go to a light blue or something.

Actually, the Playback keys change colours, Scroll lock toggles between white and red (on/off), Blind toggles between white and blue, live toggles between orange and white and more sk toggles between white and green. So there are a few!

When you go blind, the screens change from a black background to a lighter blue background, quite noticeable.

So there are subtle uses!

In the future you'll set the colour via the macro number linked to that key (so in the macro list/editor display).

Well thats the current anyway but it may change, the mapping of these keys is also due to be moved out of the shell and into setup so they may move the colour option to there instead. This isn't planned for 2.3 but you never know!

Archived