How powerful generator is needed for this PA system

krneki

We're going to have an open-air gig where we'll have to use electrical generator to power up our system. Here's the list of equipment we plan to use:

- 2x EV ZLX12P

- 1x FBT MAXX10SA

- notebook with MIDI controller (source of music)

- 2 or 5 channel mixer

- lightmaxx cls-3

I was wondering how powerful electrical generator should we get in order to make sure there won't be any problems? Where's the bottom end line in specifications? Could we actually damage the equipment if generator wouldn't output enough power?

Have a look through the "Electrical & Power" section of this forum - your question has been asked and answered many times before, in detail.

Very briefly, for your application, you want a diesel generator with automatic voltage regulation. Forget the petrol sets you can buy in a DIY store on a Sunday afternoon - else it will all end in tears.

edited to add, having just read your other topic: as you are hiring the equipment, DO NOT under any circumstances run it off an unsuitable generator, as doing so may leave you with a large bill, many times what you are paying for the hire itself!

Give aggreko a call, tell them your needs and what you will be running from it and they will fix you up with whats suitable.

0845 163 2772

Note the user's location. Not sure if Aggreko operate in Slovenia, but if they do, maybe their UK Number isn't the best contact.

The nearest contact would be their office in Padova, Italy. Tel +39 02 48 40 491

As I said elsewhere, that little lot looks like about 5KVa to me, the machine must have an AVR and the magic words are 'Entertainment grade super silenced'.

Diesel is what you want for the fuel, petrol is just a really bad idea.

I had not realised you were not in the UK, so I have no idea who to talk to out there for the hare of such a relatively small machine.

It might be worth talking to the same folks you are hiring that little PA off, they may have a contact for small generators suitable for the purpose.

Regards, Dan.

Very briefly, for your application, you want a diesel generator with automatic voltage regulation. Forget the petrol sets you can buy in a DIY store on a Sunday afternoon - else it will all end in tears.

Not sure why that would be. I run a simulator system ( power wise) off a petrol Honda generator with no issues and have done for the past 3 years. I wouldn't consider a diesel option for my use because I couldn't afford a good quality one. The imprortant thing is to get a voltage regulatered unit suitable for electronic equipment.

As. Mentioned if you are hiring the system get the hire company to supply the generator as this will be less hustle should it all go wrong.

My cheap petrol generator runs open circuit at almost 300v at full load (1200VA) it runs at just below 220. Given that sort of range only power tools survive for long, Your sound system is going to offer that kind of load range on the power supplied as the load current bounces to the beat of the music.

I'd expect an entertainment industry diesel powered generator to run at no worse than +/- 2% line volts for hours regardless of the load.

My cheap petrol generator runs open circuit at almost 300v at full load (1200VA) it runs at just below 220. Given that sort of range only power tools survive for long, Your sound system is going to offer that kind of load range on the power supplied as the load current bounces to the beat of the music.

I'd expect an entertainment industry diesel powered generator to run at no worse than +/- 2% line volts for hours regardless of the load.

The key word there is cheap. The Honda generators are not cheap. I also have a machine mart special which I use when I need a remote post but only put equipment that I'm prepared to loose. But again that is voltage regulated and has never caused me any issues, it just doesn't sound like a Honda. Think moped compared to the Honda which sounds like a jaguar.

I second the Honda, and another Jap, Yamaha also makes good genies.

As long as your voltage stays stable, let's say within a +/- 5% range, it doesn't matter whether it is diesel, gasoline or nuclear powered http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Norbert

Wrote previously on the forum: give the genny something to chew on: a halogen floodlight 100-500w depending on the size. The resistive load helps stabilize the voltage controls since the load may be transformers or diodes and capacitors with switchmode power supplies distorting the (hopefully) 50Hz sine wave.

Maybe I could get Honda EU10i and EU20i, so I was thinking to power up 1x FBT MAXX10SA with EU10i and everything else with EU20i (2x EV ZLX12P, notebook and mixer). Lights are optional. Do you think that could work? Could there be any grounding issues?

In fact I could even power notebook and mixer with 12V to 230V inverter from accumulators. In that case, it would look like this:

EU10i: 1x FBT MAXX10SA

EU20i: 2x EV ZLX12P

1000 W 12-230V inverter from acc: notebook and mixer

What do you think guys? Is that combination rock-solid

If your going down the route of buying the equipment I'd go for the 2 eu20 generators, link them together and do away with the inventor.

I trust Honda stuff and that is what the eu20's are designed to do.

If you are considering lights, only go down the led route, tungstone will eat up the generator power.

The Honda EU series ARE inverter generators which is what I think the OP may have meant. They present no problems for laptops and sensitive equipment.

I used to use a Honda EU30i with two HK Lucas 1000W systems and think the OP should get one of those, rather than bits and pieces, but lights are a whole new ball-game and we can't comment on that without lots more detail and loadings.

The Honda EU series ARE inverter generators which is what I think the OP may have meant. They present no problems for laptops and sensitive equipment.

I used to use a Honda EU30i with two HK Lucas 1000W systems and think the OP should get one of those, rather than bits and pieces, but lights are a whole new ball-game and we can't comment on that without lots more detail and loadings.

I think the op is quite clear that he was intending to use a separate inverter, as mentioned in my recommendation the eu series is perfect for electrical equipment.

In fact I could even power notebook and mixer with 12V to 230V inverter from accumulators. In that case, it would look like this:

EU10i: 1x FBT MAXX10SA

EU20i: 2x EV ZLX12P

1000 W 12-230V inverter from acc: notebook and mixer

When you say bits and pieces 2 x Honda Eu20i generators are not bits and pieces, these things are designed to sit together and provide 2 times the power of a single unit.

My thought on the 2 x Eu20i's is that, firstly there is the flexibility of to complete separate generators should you wish at a future date, secondly they are easier to move as each unit can easily be moved by a single person, thirdly 2 x Eu20's are cheaper than a Eu30 and finally the Eu20 combo provides more output than a Eu30.

Take a look at the Honda website, your Eu30 can connect to another Eu30 to provide double the power, all in phase, the whole Eu range is brilliant

Archived