Small active recommendations - TV sound for cafe/bar area

TomHoward

Afternoon

We are installing a TV and projector screen in a small cafe/bar area. It's a social area for students. There are two identical installs (one upstairs, one downstairs) which are TVs fed from a Sky box, and a local input. There's a projector & drop-down screen which can be used instead of the TV on the same wall for lectures / bigger screen showings etc. (Seems a silly design to me but that's not our area.)

There are high level sockets installed already and the TV source is at the wall so it's going to be easier to install active to avoid amp cabinet / etc.

I'm looking for recommendations of smallish speakers to support sound (the upstairs one will probably be on a music channel most of the time), otherwise will be football matchers, and sound for lectures when a laptop is connected instead.

Budget is indeterminate at the moment so would be good to get a few options.

Bracket mount would be nice if available as pole mount might be getting a little unsightly.

I'm thinking single 8" cabinet at largest, or 2x6, 4x4 etc.

Thanks, Tom

Are in ceiling mounted speakers a possibility? I like to install multiple small speakers to distribute sound in that situation, which avoids the volume being too loud at the front in order it is heard at the rear.

Kramer do some nice mini amps which can easily hide behind a screen.

I'd estimate 30' width by 40' length. I don't think the speakers will be expected to fill the whole space though, more if people are crowded around the TV I expect. Previously the audio has just been from the TV speakers but space has been extended & refurbed so looking to beef it up a little.

No suspended ceiling in either space I'm afraid. It's not really even coverage either, the TV would be a point of focus, just to improve on the on-board sound.

We've installed LD Systems Sat62/82 or Vector Audio 8s in similar scenarios before, and hidden a Thomann amp, but I'm more inclined to use active here due to the space not really having anywhere close for a cabinet, and budget may be able to stretch a bit further for this as it's part of a bigger refurb

So I'm looking at options like

HK PR:O 08A

Thomann 108 CXA

For the same kind of money though I could use a pair of KRK VXT8 monitors or similar, which to be honest I have a little more faith in, does anyone have any comments on the long-term suitability of near field monitors for install use?

I've also used the LD systems stuff, and like it. The Sat62 (but not, for some reason, the Sat82) comes in a powered version - and you could always add the Sub88A to beef it up a little.

The (quite similar) Stinger range does include an active 8" - here at a reasonable price.

We'll just stick a small mixing desk on the aux input for mic input I reckon, not planning to put anything in permanently other than TV feed and a couple of aux XLRs.

There will be all sorts of other events (open mic nights, discos etc) but all that will be temporary setup.

Not looking to do anything complex here, thinking about it I'm leaning towards putting a pair of Tannoy Reveal 8s on the TV downstairs (as that will mostly be news channel) and a pair of KRK VXT8s upstairs, which will mostly be MTV/music channels and films.

The (quite similar) Stinger range does include an active 8" - here at a reasonable price.

Has anyone used the LD Systems Stinger?

I'm starting to wonder whether I'm losing my mind considering putting Tannoy monitors into a BGM setup.

Basically it's LD Systems Stinger vs Tannoy Reveal 802.

I'm imagining the 802 will sound slightly better but I'm worried it might be pushed for what it's required to do in that space compared to what it's designed for.

Archived