Mic stand thread

pete10uk

A quick one for you here.

I have a set of speakers (RCF Monitor 8) which have been sat doing noting for a year. I want to add a 35mm pole adaptor so these can go out but I've not god any bolts that fit the imperial thread on them.

The only thing that fits is a mic stand 3/8 screw, but before anyone suggests it, a mic stand won't cut the mustard as these speakers are way to heavy.

I've done a quick search looking for a ¾" 3/8th thread set screw but there seems to be another number which I don't know, presumably this is pitch? (sorry I wasn't around in ye olden days)

An example of what I've found is 3/8-24 x ¾, their over £1 each +vat + del with a minimum order of 20 so I don't want to order the wrong thing and have them sat around for the next 20 years as I doubt I'll ever find a need for them.

Any clue to the "pitch' would be great, even better a link to a cheaper supplier who sells a thread known to be compatible with mic threads.

Cheers

⅝″ 27 threads per inch (tpi) Unified Straight thread (UNS, U.S. and the rest of the world)

¼″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)

⅜″ BSW (uncommon in the U.S., used in the rest of the world)

Off the wikipedia site on mic stands.

You need to find an old-style ironmongers. There aren't many around these days. The sort of place that's an aladdin's cave inside, with a wee old man in a brown overcoat behind the counter, and zillions of cardboard boxes that haven't been opened in years. The old man will know the location of every nut and bolt.

Think "Fork Handles/Four Candles"

I needed a few 1/4-20 Whitworth bolts, as used on camera tripods. Went into the shop, the guy immediately got his stepladders out, lifted down a dusty box, and there were hundreds of them!

There's a place like that just up the road from our venue, they actually keep four candles on the counter at all times!

What was refreshing was the last time I went in with a mystery screw, it was a spotty teenager who served me. He looked at it, frowned a bit then grunted "prolly 10 30 tooths UNF mate" - It was!!

time to pop my day hat on.

outside of the sound world, imperial threads are still pretty common, BSW (british standard whitworth) being one of them. In fact steel pipe fittings are STILL manufactured as standard with imperial standard pipe thread in this country. Every town has two or three fastener suppliers, supplying to the engineering trade and they are used the general public wandering in and asking to identify and provide replacements and solutions. of course screwfix is running some of them out of town but most are still around and are your modern equivalent to the hardware store - at least in respect of nuts, bolts, screws etc. they will also carry things like chemical fixings and should be able to advice on what you need for that tricky flaky wall you are trying to hang a speaker from (as an example).

Of course if you know what you want and can identify with confidence or have a magnifying glass and vernier gauge then you can order what you need via the wonderful web - a number of the small fastener suppliers have a presence online or via ebay.

there are plenty of thread charts online to help you identify:

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Imperial-Threads.html

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Metric-Threads.html

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Thread-Equivalents.html

the OP's biggest problem is identifying which imperial thread (be careful because some metric and imperial sizes are a close match for each other until you get 5 threads in and cross thread)

and this can be tricky if the thread is internal. If it were me, I would put the speaker in the boot of the car and pop over to the local fastener company - when you get there, have a little patience, if you haven't been to a trade counter before they are a different timezone, where things seem to run at 1/3 normal speed.

3/8 Whitworth is indeed the one you want (it also used to be the standard thread for lighting yokes/hook clamps until metric took over) and, if I've understood aright what you're looking for, then K&M are your friend, because what you want is their part number ST24521IMP which looks like this: http://www.warehousesound.co.uk/onlineshop/products-page/manufacturer/km/km-st24521imp-reducer-flange-with-38-bolt/

Think "Fork Handles/Four Candles"

This place, was very much like that once. They've modernised now, of course, but still, I find, a very good place to find those unusual bits and bobs. I'm please to see they're not yet offering an email address! May be work picking up the phone.

I know just the placer but unfortunatly it's an hour away, not sure I know of a place locally.

time to pop my day hat on.

outside of the sound world, imperial threads are still pretty common, BSW (british standard whitworth) being one of them. In fact steel pipe fittings are STILL manufactured as standard with imperial standard pipe thread in this country. Every town has two or three fastener suppliers, supplying to the engineering trade and they are used the general public wandering in and asking to identify and provide replacements and solutions. of course screwfix is running some of them out of town but most are still around and are your modern equivalent to the hardware store - at least in respect of nuts, bolts, screws etc. they will also carry things like chemical fixings and should be able to advice on what you need for that tricky flaky wall you are trying to hang a speaker from (as an example).

Of course if you know what you want and can identify with confidence or have a magnifying glass and vernier gauge then you can order what you need via the wonderful web - a number of the small fastener suppliers have a presence online or via ebay.

there are plenty of thread charts online to help you identify:

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Imperial-Threads.html

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Metric-Threads.html

http://www.eicac.co.uk/Thread-Equivalents.html

the OP's biggest problem is identifying which imperial thread (be careful because some metric and imperial sizes are a close match for each other until you get 5 threads in and cross thread)

and this can be tricky if the thread is internal. If it were me, I would put the speaker in the boot of the car and pop over to the local fastener company - when you get there, have a little patience, if you haven't been to a trade counter before they are a different timezone, where things seem to run at 1/3 normal speed.

Thanks S&L, I did try my favourite local fastenings company, this is the place I get all my fixings from but unfortunatly they only supply imperial on a next day service and don't keep stock. There is another place which seem to deal with engineering firms (theres always people in there with oily overalls on) but they not that small quantity friendly.

I agree 100% about the change in time speed when you visit a trade counter, I seriously don't know where the time goes every time I visit one, there has to me a more efficient way of selling things.

3/8 Whitworth is indeed the one you want (it also used to be the standard thread for lighting yokes/hook clamps until metric took over) and, if I've understood aright what you're looking for, then K&M are your friend, because what you want is their part number ST24521IMP which looks like this: http://www.warehousesound.co.uk/onlineshop/products-page/manufacturer/km/km-st24521imp-reducer-flange-with-38-bolt/

You have understood my requirement perfectly, I will order a couple of the K&M parts as they look very useful, not sure that they will do for this application as there are 2 threads on the speaker offset to centre of gravity. I was thinking more of this type of thing. I will give the adaptor you have suggested ago as they would be much neater.

In line with the suggestions I have ordered some standard 3/8 bolts online, will give them ago and confirm, they should always come in handy for fastening mic clips to things. Didn't get to the bottom of the second part of the number (3/8-24) which I thought was the pitch, but the ones ordered are 16 TPI which sounds about right.

Thanks all

an older style camera shop might help, or a bike shop - thread wise.

I have a speaker stand adaptor that is plastic/nylon bought from Maplin's odds and sods bin. I added a small plank of ply and it takes a 22" LCD TV-Combo with a strap to hold it down.

do you really need bolts? would super hook and loop be safe enough?

do you really need bolts? would super hook and loop be safe enough?

I do if I want to be able to renew my liability insurance next year, these things are very weighty at 10kg each.

However I can confirm that my bolts turned up 5 min ago and hey presto 3/8" BSW fits perfectly. I can now also bolt mics to anything I wish.

Thank you all for your help.

I have also ordered something similar to the K&M offering gibbothegreat suggested, my caveat being the construction on the speaker is a plastic case with 4 nuts glued? in to a recess (two as each side, slightly off centre of gravity) making them ideal for a U bracket with sideward force, however I have concerns of using just 1 on the bolts as the off centre of gravity would put a constant strain on the nut, should the glue fail the speaker would fall. My thought on the monacor options is that the larger square top would offer more spread of the force and they are under half of the K&M price. I couldn't actually see the suggested K&M item on the K&M website and the pole clamp (granted missing off the Monacor version) isn't K&M branded as most of the K&M stuff is, so not convinced they are genuine.

Hmm, trickier and trickier - note as well that the Monacor part is only rated for 7.5Kg. From what you've described, the only thing I can think might work for you would be a specific RCF part http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/projectors-monitors-column-speakers/ma-8-2 which you could then cannibalise and use the two plates with something like the K&M part. Another advantage wopuld be that you wouldn't need to buy the (hard to find?) imperial version of the K&M but could get the pretty common M10 one.

As an added bonus, if you're anything like me, you'll have this single ball joint assembly in your 'miscellaneous hardware' box for years to come waiting for that one moment when it's exactly the right solution... :)

Hmm, trickier and trickier - note as well that the Monacor part is only rated for 7.5Kg. From what you've described, the only thing I can think might work for you would be a specific RCF part http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/projectors-monitors-column-speakers/ma-8-2 which you could then cannibalise and use the two plates with something like the K&M part. Another advantage wopuld be that you wouldn't need to buy the (hard to find?) imperial version of the K&M but could get the pretty common M10 one.

As an added bonus, if you're anything like me, you'll have this single ball joint assembly in your 'miscellaneous hardware' box for years to come waiting for that one moment when it's exactly the right solution... :)

I'd not spied the 7.5Kg rating, I can always use them with a speaker stand as a heavy duty mic stand with free 360 rotation.

I actually got 4 of these speakers for £60 at an auction, didn't want them but couldn’t let them go for the £20 they were at before I started bidding, 3 of them came with the RCF adaptor as linked to and one had a ball mont where someone drilled 4 x m10 holes in the cabinet and bolted the mount to it :-(

I think if I adapted the RCF mount to a pole mount the centre of gravity could pull a stand over as the mounts for this bracket are on the rear of the speaker not the ends as per the original threads.

I've got the bolts now so all is well, I'll take a look at the Monacor parts when they come in and perhaps weigh the speakers as I got the weight off the internet.

Thanks for the reply

Archived