M2GO vs Roadhog4

lightfanatic

I am thinking of buying a lighting controller and I do really like the m2go and the roadhog 4 (and maybe hedgehog4). So do any of you have any pros/cons about they and any opinions. It will be used for all types of events like conserts, theatre, church etc. As it stands now I am thinking most about the m2go. But I dont know any people using it, but I know many people using roadhog4.

Hi, myself and Joe Bleasdale (he'll be along to comment soon) are both big Martin console boys, and we both love the system.

For me Hog 4 is my second choice in console and you probably notice there are quite a few similarities between both consoles. So a great two options from the start.

The M2Go will sit well with what you want it to do as it's an incredibly flexable system. I've used mine on a lot of festivals this year, along with a few theatre shows and awards evenings. The main things I like about it is the speed of updating your programming with a few clicks and the logical way it works. But you've probably worked this out already!

I've had no issues with mine and support for the products is fantastic.

The chaps involved with development are all well respected people in their own right, and understand the end users needs rather than just being software boys.

They really do listen hard to what users want, and the majority of feature request are included.

There's a new software version due to be released in the next couple of days that opens up a lot more possibilities so get a chance to look at that when you can.

Console choice is a very personal thing so you really do need to pick carefully, or you may end up kicking yourself. I presume you've been using each console and getting a feel for it right?

I'm guessing your not based in the UK?

This is my biased opinion, from an LD who uses these consoles every working day. I'm sure others will be along to give their opinion on the H4 and inevitably tell you about Chamsys.

Good luck :)

I agree with the above and recently have used both systems, the hog 4 as a complete desk option or with the Nano, is a superb lighting solution,

my biggest bug bear is the effects engine is still fairly poor for symetrical work , that said the Mpro system I have only used as software with a dongle, and found it to be fairly comprehensive until , again you go to use the effects engine, the terminology is unusual, but in Martins defence there are several tutorial videos on their webpage. I also found patching fixtures to have some strange syntaxes that take a bit of getting used to.

I am a Chamsys fan as this is the system I learned on, however both Hog and MPRO are fairly compatable systems,

Everybody here will advise, download the software, have a play , and make your own mind up as to which one will suit you, remember you are the one who is going to have to live with it.

I'm sure others will be along to give their opinion on the H4 and inevitably tell you about Chamsys. <br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well be fair, this IS the forum where Chamsys is the answer to everything.

I'm sure if younwere looking for a new shower head for the female dressing room somebody would recommend Chamsys

Thanx for all respond this far. I have downloaded both softwares to my pc. I understood and learned many thing on the m-pc and think that it was easy to use. But I didnt understand the hog4pc. Whatever button I pushed a new window was opened. So after just some minutes the screen was full of MANY windows. The past years I have used hog1000 and it have worked fine but it is a bit out dated. I really like the martin software but if get any problems I only know people that have hog4 and MA2.

I think the RH4 vs the M2GO might be a tad unfair, the Hedgehog is the equivalent in size and price to the M2GO, really the RH4 is more on par with the likes of Martins M1.

my biggest bug bear is the effects engine is still fairly poor for symmetrical work , that said the Mpro system I have only used as software with a dongle, and found it to be fairly comprehensive until , again you go to use the effects engine, the terminology is unusual, but in Martins defence there are several tutorial videos on their webpage. I also found patching fixtures to have some strange syntaxes that take a bit of getting used to.

Really..?! Hmm, both of those effects engines are pretty awesome for symmetrical effects. On the Hog, you need to know how to use the grouping & buddying tools, and on the M-Series the grouping tools/FX fan masks. Using the Mirror per X tool you can create symmetrical parts very easily both in and out of the effects engine. And if that doesnt quite cut it, on both desks you could make the FX on half of the fixtures and simply copy/load that selection to another selection. That process should work on pretty much any desk nowadays too.

Both the Hog and M-Series FX engine derive from the original FX engine in the Hog 2, the M-Series one is a little further behind the current Hog version, but both are likely due for a significant update soon anyway. The Hog one may already be in beta, but I'm not sure on that, pure speculation there...

Thanx for all respond this far. I have downloaded both softwares to my pc. I understood and learned many thing on the m-pc and think that it was easy to use. But I didnt understand the hog4pc. Whatever button I pushed a new window was opened. So after just some minutes the screen was full of MANY windows. The past years I have used hog1000 and it have worked fine but it is a bit out dated. I really like the martin software but if get any problems I only know people that have hog4 and MA2.

Both M-Series and Hog (obviously) are heavily influenced from the Hog 2. The Hog 4 has the same syntax as the Hog 3, which changed significantly from the Hog 2. M-Series is shorter and faster, but doesnt offer quite as many options in syntax as the Hog 4. This is changing over time, more and more commands etc are being added with every beta cycle. If you were comfortable on the Hog 1000 which is Hog 2 OS, you should be able to convert/adapt to either console fairly easily. If you decide to go Hog 4, there is a Hog 2 > Hog 3 (still completely relevant) thesaurus type thing available showing all of the Hog 2 syntax and the new equivalent which will prove very useful for you.

I have my own M2GO and its a great little travelling console that's very powerful. It can do up to 8 universes (you have to pay a few hundred pounds extra for the additional 4), but the nifty thing is, you can flick a switch on the rear of the console and turn it into a PC wing, and hook it up to your PC and then get up to 64 universes out of the PC on Art-Net and Streaming ACN (with the appropriate licenses) as well as direct DMX with the appropriate hardware for that.

Another cool little thing to know, is you can use a cheap external DMX desk like a scene setter or any DMX desk as a DMX input for the M-Series. Meaning you can purchase the M2GO, or even a small MPC system, and get fader playbacks for very very little money, and the DMX inputs are not limited in numbers like desks such as Chamsys, you can have a ridiculous amount of external DMX faders as playbacks and its really easy to map. A great little solution to a PC system that only has a dongle.

The only other thing I would say is, for both consoles get a good peli case to keep it safe, and a good external monitor (Hedgehog cant do an external monitor I think). For the M2GO I would recommend the Elo 2201L, the all glass one is nice, but a tad fragile, so opt for the one with the bezel so its a little more hard wearing.

Oh, and give both consoles a good testing before you purchase! Go to the manufacturer training for a day if you can, and make sure to ask as many questions as possible to get a good feel for the desks.

Thanks.

Archived