Possible upgrade from Alto TS112a's £800 per pair?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is anything available on the market that will be an upgrade to my Alto TS112a's for £800 a pair?

Here's the catch; I would like something smaller, lighter with a couple of inputs and be as full range?

I've tried the EV ZLX12p's and really didn't like these, I've tried the RCF 710's which sounded great apart from quite a lot of port noise on deep bass sounds and I've tried the Alesis Alpha which again sounded nice but have very loud amp hiss!

Is there anything available I have missed that meets my criteria?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is anything available on the market that will be an upgrade to my Alto TS112a's for £800 a pair?

Here's the catch; I would like something smaller, lighter with a couple of inputs and be as full range?

I've tried the EV ZLX12p's and really didn't like these, I've tried the RCF 710's which sounded great apart from quite a lot of port noise on deep bass sounds and I've tried the Alesis Alpha which again sounded nice but have very loud amp hiss!

Is there anything available I have missed that meets my criteria?

How about Yamaha DXR10s?

Out of interest what was your complaint with the EVs? I've got a few and have my complaints about them but I'd be interested to know what you thought was up.

Still think they're great for the price though at less than £500/pair from Thomann.

Depending on what your criterea for small & light is the next step up the EV range, the ELX112P rather than ZLX should still be in budget.

I found the EV's didn't sound that balanced and had strange peaks and dips in their sound. I had some RCF's and KV2 Audio speakers to compare them to and they just sounded odd to my ears!

The only options that could be potential options WITHIN budget are the FBT J12a and DB Technologies Opera 712. However these only have one input! I do have a small ALlen & Heath ZED 10fx which is great but don't really want to have to carry something extra around.

Also, I wouldn't want to use the DXR10's as a wedge monitor/ keyboard amp as the finish on the cabinets scratches really easily and it wouldn't take long to trash those.

it's difficult to know when you have a pair of speakers whether its the boxes in front of you or a characteristic of the model but re the ZLX12p, it's interesting to someone else describing them as 'odd'. I have used a pair a few times recently and felt the same. first time out was monitors and you never really know for sure unless you are sat in front of them all night, last time out I used them as a temporary replacement for tops in my small bar gig set up and felt confident doing so since it was a pretty small bar with a mix of acoustic and electric instruments. I had to cut some mids to make them sound reasonable to the ears and one needed more gain than the other for the same level of sound in the room (!) they still sounded some how harsh at the top end (something I have experienced with EV's before), nothing terrible just a little harsh. they also seemed to run out of steam quickly for a small room - much less than my usual 600w program passive boxes (yes I know it's about the spl not the watts).

as small jobbing active boxes they are fine and really don't sound too bad if you can eq a little, so fine for announcements, corporate work, program music, acoustic acts etc, and not bad to have in stock for this sort of work and if I had some I would press them into use as monitors for certain applications and wouldn't get rid but I wouldn't run out to buy some anytime soon either.

edited to add:

just out of interest what's wrong with the Alto boxes?

A pair of DXR10's cost £940 which is a bit over budget.

I'm wondering if it would be more sensible to use the budget to buy some nicer mics like the Sennheiser E945 and E935? This would potentially improve the vocal sound I'm getting through both the Altos and my main bigger pa (voice dependant of course)!?

Interesting - can't say I've found them odd across the range but we are mostly using them for small singer/songwriter acoustic style stuff so the harsh top end may just be in line with what we are using. The DSP presets are very drastic and make sweeping changes, and they do seem to hit the limit pretty quickly so I'm glad we are on,y using them as mons / cheap&cheerful active boxes for small gigs, not relying on them at the limit of their abilities. This said for the performance and very corporate appearance at the price point I still think they are great value.

They are not a particularly compact box either.

re ev's - I would agree - corporate is not my thing but I had one such booking recently and planned to use 6 of these and felt they looked much smarter than the Altos (subjective of course) and they have looked smart wherever I have used them.

re buzz, there IS something odd about them - I had a punter sat 6ft or so from one and got the tick tick of his phone receiving information over the EV - something I have not experienced with other boxes over a similar distance.

Archived