The "Theatre Experience" Research

Hi everybody

I am a student in my third year at Bath Spa University doing Theatre Production, focusing on lighting and sound mainly.

I am doing a dissertation based on the different types of "Theatre Experience" you get between smaller (local) venues and larger (or outdoor) venues, so am looking for advice and opinions from other technicians.

These are the main questions I'm working with.

• What are the benefits/limitations to working in small and large venues?
  • What types of audience do you see at a larger venue compared to a small venue?
  • From a technical perspective, how important is it (either for a specific show or venue) to have the latest "up to date" equipment, and how would that impact smaller venues that may have older equipment?
  • Do you find there to be a noticeable difference between the quality of shows found in smaller vs large venues? (This can be in regards to ticket sales, reviews, audience)
  • Do you believe the intimacy that is found in a smaller venue beneficial to the success of a show (if yes, why?)
  • Personally what type of venue do you prefer working in and why?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer these, and feel free to add in any other opinions and thoughts. Could I please ask if you do, could I get you to include your name/job/venue (if applicable) for reference.

Kind regards

George Bryant

Archived