Different Styles Of Programming Styles

Hi my name is Charlotte,

on my course I have to find research into the different programming styles for live events within lighting and possibly video roles. I was just wondering if anyone had any insights as at the moment when typing into google all I get is course links.

Thanks for your time http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Hi Charlotte,

You might need to give a little more information on this topic in order to glean useful answers. Programming what for instance? Lighting? Sound? Automation? Software? Or programming (scheduling) of events themselves? Presumably you already have at least some idea of what these different styles might be?

The questions posted on here that get the most useful responses tend to be the ones where the poster says "this is the topic, these are the ideas that I've come up with so far, can anyone comment on these or offer other suggestions?"

The more you can narrow the field down, the more we can help.

If you think up some really good questions, I suspect that people will chip in their own ways of working. I've spent a bit of time watching different LDs and most seem to say very similar things, yet if they are working with programmers, there does now seem an infinite number of ways to achieve the objective - and with modern controls offering loads of different systems to do things - even the chosen screens they use are often quite different. I spent a fair while building up an output screen that is laid out exactly as the rig is hung - so on a touch screen you can tap each light, rather than have to remember that the third one is on LX3 is 213, or getting a paper plan out. Assuming you're talking lighting, of course?

I'd say (as someone who programs mainly video but also lighting) that it largely depends on the desk.

Theres also what many people consider the 'right way' which involves lots of palletising and is definitely more useful in most situations, but there are times where its unnecessary.

I'd perhaps suggest contacting somewhere like the national theatre which has an LX control department?

or feel free to send me a message with some questions.

also what level is your course? and how in depth do you need to be?

Hi Charlotte. Can I suggest you take a look at the pinned topic Forum Rules at the head of this forum? It tells you how to phrase your question to get the best answers. We put it up there to avoid exactly the sorts of problems we're having here knowing how to answer your question. Have a read and post again with some more help for us to know how to best answer. Thanks.

I was just wondering if anyone had any insights as at the moment when typing into google all I get is course links.

That is because Google has decided to stop being a search engine and instead just pretend to be one while mainly promoting it's own activities, it's advertisers and push anything actually worth looking at effectively away from the eyes of the 95% of internet users in the UK that use Google by default.

However, before the notorious Panda and Penguin 'updates' to the Google algorithm you may have found Console Programming at On Stage Lighting. As Eric says, if you post further after reading the sticky post on questions, I'm sure we can help.

O/T: It's rather a shame that Google pushes small online publishers out of the frame while including eHow and WikiHow in its results, many of whom (along with Wikipedia) have used information taken from my content to fill out their pages. The situation is that it is currently uneconomic to do much more than leave the site up and certainly doesn't pay for much in the way of new writing. Bitter? Me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only just spotted this topic.

Assuming that the OP is still lurking about, then by all means ask some specific questions and I'm sure that myself, and the other programmers of things that lurk hereabouts would be willing to help.

Cheers

Smiffy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Don't think she's coming back....

Shame, because I was fully prepared to go into a massive spiel about programming techniques changing as desk have become more complex and the obvious differences and strategies with regards to cue-based and busking and even using both at the same time.

*sigh*

All the best

Timmeh

Might as well not waste your time with this one - she hasn't been back on here since the day after she posted the question. Damned rude, if you ask me (which no-one did, but that never usually stops me http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Sorry for not been back kinda got overwhelmed by all the work then one thing lead to another and then I was on show but thanks you all so much for replying and wanting to help means a lot.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Archived