lighting history dissertation

Hey my name is Richard I'm doing a BA (Hons) in Technical and Theatre Production and for my dissertation I'm doing the history of thelighting console the main focus of my writing with be on

· Gas powered desks

· Electric

· Electric with memory

· LED mapping in lighting desks

· Conversation to Cat5

I would be very grateful if you could contact me if you havehad any experience on any of these desks in looking into the negatives andpositive of using the console, of their invention and why the development andchange has happened I.E "a gas powered positive is you can now operate thelights from one space which you couldn't do before a negative is now you have alarge amount of gas going to a small space" my email is richard_burton93@hotmail.co.ukwhen/ if you email me please started it with your full name or your Blue roomuser name so you can be referenced in my work correctly many thanks

Forgive me, but this one is hardly new is it? Indeed, it's been done here quite a few times.

I take it you've read the usual source books by Fred, Francis and Richard? Fred's being the oldest is a good start - but if you want real detail on gas, then you're going to have to do much digging, because it's ancient history.

You have picked some rather random 'milestones' - gas, electric, electric with memory - but then drop in LED mapping and then presumably you want to move on from desks talking to dimmers by analogue, then D54, AMX192, DMX512 and now chatting and listening to Artnet via CAT5 - I think?

Too much to do justice to in any depth. I'm also very confused what you mean by

a gas powered positive is you can now operate thelights from one space which you couldn't do before

Before gas it was just candles wasn't it?

I'm a bit surprised your supervisor hasn't thrown this one out, because it's a bit flaky, and the chances of getting decent data on anything gas is going to be very difficult as anyone with experience of it is almost certain to be dead! Electricity has been about for a fair while now!

I didn't think anonymous internet forum sources with no validation were actually considered primary evidence sources.

Ask us some questions, but probably best to read our forum, and settle in a bit before asking people to contact you direct.

For what it's worth, I really, really hate having messages starting 'Hey'. Not something we really do here.

Tell us about you, your course, your experience, your dissertation so far and some of what you said might make sense - it does (and please forgive me) look more like 14 year old GCSE than final year dissertation level.

If you are interested in the history of lighting control, see if your college library has a copy of "YESTERDAY’S LIGHTS A REVOLUTION REPORTED" by Francis Reid. His experience dates from the 1950s to pretty much the present day, in terms of theatre and concentrates on the milestones at his particular theatres and organisations. A skim of this is a good first step in deciding what your research is going to focus on.

Take gas/limelight -> electricity, this was a very small step until after WW2 (at least in the UK). I will leave you to do your own research to find out why shows continued to be lit as they were in the gas/limelight era despite basic lighting design principles being established in the 1920s...

I take it you've read the usual source books by Fred, Francis and Richard? Fred's being the oldest is a good start - but if you want real detail on gas, then you're going to have to do much digging, because it's ancient history.

He's right - and you'll need a very early edition of Fred as well as the later ones.

But if you aren't finally committed to the subject I'd urge you to think again. You'll be ploughing a limited furrow with a few well known - often plundered - sources, pictures that have been done to death and where it is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking there was only one company making the running.

He's not been back since the 13th to even check, so I'm guessing he included his email address so people would contact him direct and he'd not have to actually join in scission or anything. A week without checking seems to say quite a bit, so I'll close the topic.

Archived