We need a REALLY bright torch

Judge

I mean a monster. I have a 3 D-cell Maglite with a Krypton bulb downstairs, and its good but we need something that makes you go Yikes! I am thinking of those 20 gazillion candlepower lanterns its brighter than the SUN! jobbies that you see advertised - but want one that actually works and is rechargeable in a reasonable amount of time.

Well, as in their name, a really bright torch is this one from Wicked Lasers: Torch here. Mega bright, solid build from a solid company, charges quick enough with the right charger, and has a whopping intensity to it for a torch. Of course, its not the cheapest or smallest thing either.

It's not rechargable but a small but powerful torch could be an LED Lenser ... you can get varying sizes and all are very bright. these might be what they are reffering to about the police ones as I know my local police use these as standard issue

Surefire are the real deal. You know that because they have a 'tactical runtime'. Used by US military and police. I've used some of the smaller ones and they are what they claim but you pay for it. If size/weight isn't a concern and you you're not so bothered about it still working after some fool carelessly drives a hum vee over it then you can probably get cheaper elsewhere. Some of the testimonials are gold.

The Wicked sounds good.

"The Torch burns bright, this is the world's brightest and most powerful flashlight with 4100 lumens of raw light power.

The Torch can burn hot. You can hold the body of the flashlight as the heat-resistant lens burns plastic, lights paper on fire, and cooks eggs and marshmallows. For a bright light or light-grilling this is the perfect accessory for the outdoor enthusiast."

Cooks eggs! I want one. But I really dont think the company will stump up £200

Found a great review of it here

100w halogen bulb, Its totally mad. Surefire also look amazing, but a little overspecced for our purposes. Tactical runtime indeed - heh heh.

If the management won't pay £200 then they don't want the effect. It isn't a huge amount of money. Give them the option and leave it to them. If you try to custom make anything it will be more expensive when you factor in labour.

Fair point Graham, although to be fair we do need two of them, and I am just thinking - four hundred quid for a three minute gag you know? It may well be the best, but we don't necessarily need the best - just bright and lasts a couple of years.

Jon, I did start looking at bike lights and you are right, there is good stuff there AND it clips onto things, which we need to do, but again pricey cos its a specialty item. I may take a trip down to Mole Valley Farmers tomorrow and see what the tightwad Somerset farmers use for rescuing sheep at night etc :)

At a risk of feeding you into a way to lose many hours, have a look at candlepowerforums. There's a lot of very bright torches (but don't believe the numbers) on the likes of dealextreme, but they are often cheap and chinese. Ultrafire are one of the better brands. Fenix are a good, but well priced, brand.

Also, the wicked lasers torch is a lot of money for what is effectively a big maglite with a 100w bulb and a big battery in it.

Also look at led upgrades for maglites. Much brighter.

... for a three minute gag...

You didn't mention the three minute operational requirement in the original post. And that makes a big difference...

Those cheap bazillion candlepower torches will deliver a hell of an output for three minutes.

Alternatively, needing only three minutes of output, you can misuse NiCd batteries like the RC brigade do to get a huge output for a short period of time.

Archived