Dusting fixtures

soakes94

I'm used to using hire equipment but now work in a venue with all our own generic and intelligent fixtures. Things get dusty obviously so my question is, can I use an air compressor to blow the dust of fixtures? I could use hundreds of cans of compressed air getting things dust free! I don't see any issues arising from dusting generic fixtures this way but what about intelligent fixtures like moving heads? Are they going to react badly?

Thanks and a happy Christmas!!

Stephen

Blowing air has always seemed to me to be the wrong solution, sucking is best. The worst parts of something like a mover are the ones tricky to get to, and getting muck out, is more important than blowing the muck to somewhere worse!. Things like ordinary vacuum cleaners are great for sucking out dust, from grills and fans - while blowing would send all that rubbish inside. I tend to only do this kind of cleaning when it's got to be done, rather than more often 'in-case'. So I suck the fans and grills first, then pull the lids off, and have a small plastic tube that I just stick into the vacuum tube. I tried taping it in to make a good seal, but the suck was too much - by a long way. the small tube fits into the gap between the rotating wheels, and into the small corners and other dust trap areas. Air lines are great at blowing, but for me, suck is best.

Blowing air has always seemed to me to be the wrong solution, sucking is best. The worst parts of something like a mover are the ones tricky to get to, and getting muck out, is more important than blowing the muck to somewhere worse!.

Problem with vacuum is possibility of static build up, enough to zap some sensitive components.

Good blast of pressurised air is generally better at getting dust bunnies out of enclosed spaces, though it`s an operation best carried out in an unenclosed space...

Dinnae let fans free spin in the flow.

If going to use a compressor, a filter/seperator/dryer on the airline is a good idea, cheap enough from Machine Mart, compressed air by nature has water in it and oil picked up from pump.

Archived