Good quality small mixer amps?

TomHoward

Afternoon all

I am looking for suggestions if possible of good quality small mixer amps. We have a couple which we use for small jobs (three-mic vocal PAs, this kind of thing) and at the moment we have 2x Thomann PM400s - 4x XLR in, output, and not much more to them.

Problem is they are pretty noisy, and all the input & output jacks are rubbish (not Neutrik) so XLRs are loose and noisy, so on and so forth. We've been through one of them and de-soldered and replaced all connectors with XLR but it seems a lot of effort.

Is there a reliable brand in this area? Not looking for more channels - just something quick & easy that can be demonstrated in the venue and lent out / dry hired as a simple setup - but these thomann amps are proving too delicate & unreliable.

Thanks in advance

Have Phonic improved their construction quality since the days when their power supplies were darn near unsafe? If not, stick to A&H or Soundcraft every time (with A&H ahead by a nose).

The ones I've installed have seemed perfectly OK to me. And, as I mentioned, the Gigrac is discontinued, and A&H only do the PA-CP series, which (I thought) was a bit more complex than the OP was after. I've never managed to get on with the PA series workflow, not quite sure why.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Phonic Powerpod looks pretty good but it does still have a lot of controls for the non-technical, and the PA-CP series is a bit complex as suggested.

What I really want is something with as few knobs as possible, but with proper input and output connectors that don't rattle & buzz at the slightest sign of anyone passing within 6 feet of the mixer.

We are a college but we lend out a lot of PA systems to our performing musicians, and have PA systems in practice rooms - so it makes sense if we can standardise so the students can become more familiar with them - and so we can lend them something they already recognise. At the moment we have t-mix PMP400s, but these have been discontinued and I am getting to the end of my patience with the ones we have as they are made with the cheapest components so they are failing all over the place. I might end up buying a cheaper simple brand and swapping all the connectors for Neutrik again as I'm having trouble finding anything that fits the bill.

What I really want is something with as few knobs as possible, but with proper input and output connectors that don't rattle & buzz at the slightest sign of anyone passing within 6 feet of the mixer.

I think the problem is that powered mixers aren't a product that many people want any more and consequently few people make them. I wouldn't touch Phonic with a barge pole personally.

Not exactly what you want because they include speakers but I think something like the Yamaha STAGEPAS systems are the kind thing that service this market these days look at.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/pa_systems/

In the same vein active speakers and passive mixers gives you the possibility of things like the good and cheap Yamaha MG series of mixers and everyone and their dog makes a pair of cheap plastic active speakers.

You might be better to consider a small mixer (depending on budget Behringer or Mackie 1202) and a pair of cheapish active cabs (Alto Truesonic TS110As spring to mind). This would be a proper (if small) PA system of the type the students will encounter in the real world and, being more modular, it's easier to replace bits as they become unserviceable.

Don't you just hate it when somebody beats you to it? http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Thanks guys

We already have a good stock of SX300s so we have reasonable passive speakers already, what I'm really looking for is something to pair up with one or a pair of these to make an idiot-proof PA system. The benefit of the smaller mixer amp setups is it's nearly impossible to get them wrong - XLRs in, speakons out, and 4 knobs per channel (Gain/Hi/Lo/FX).

The problem is these aren't all technical students, they're teenage performing musicians and staff members who aren't technical as well (not a technical college, just the music dept in a normal college) so these might be games teachers wanting a system for speeches or something - we can get simplicity with these serious budget items but the reliability is just so bad.

Something as simple as this

http://www.electrovision.co.uk/images/pictures_lg/n_jpegs/njs025_in1.jpg

But with reliability.

If Cloud made a small mixer amp that's what I'd be after.

to be honest for the price I wouldn't have been to concerned about the thomann offering and there have been some very sensible suggestions above but if you want another the peavey pvi series fit the bill. I haven't used one myself but their predecessors were built like tanks (I had a couple laying round a few years ago). I have an old Peavey desk I still use very regularly primarily because anything short of a direct hit with a rocket launcher and the thing doesn't stop working - ever!

Archived