Mac laptop DMX controller and software for Mac250s?

Karel Bata

Hi,

My first post here. Awesome forum!

I have access to four Mac250s at a college. They come in flight-cases and can be taken out of the building. I'd like to be able to run them during a show elsewhere from a Mac laptop.

Is that possible? if so how?

I'm guessing I need a USB to DMX box, and appropriate software. Anyone here done this? My budget is severely limited.

Cheers! B-)

It sure will. I have been using MagicQ for well over a year now and would not use anything else.

If you can get a mac and take it home and play with it and MagicQ when you get the USB MagicDMX and watch some of the videos on Chamsys website on how to patch the heads and also how to do other things with the software, you should be fine

"MagicDMX Basic is time limited to 5 hours continuous usage"

That could be a problem!

I feel sorry for whichever show you do which is longer than 5 hours per show!

MagicQ is a free download and you can basically end up with a panel of buttons with on/off/ colour palletes / movement palletes / effects on that you just toggle on and off as needed.

"I feel sorry for whichever show you do which is longer than 5 hours per show!"

This may be set up during the day and returned to later. But I guess that's easily worked around. But... this will be set up in an arty club type environment to start at 7pm and finish at 1am - 6 hours. But maybe a break/reset would be OK.

Still at £12 maybe it's worth buying to learn with and evaluate, then hanging on to it as a backup.

Thanks all! ;)

Any other solutions I should consider?

This may be set up during the day and returned to later. But I guess that's easily worked around. But... this will be set up in an arty club type environment to start at 7pm and finish at 1am - 6 hours. But maybe a break/reset would be OK.

It's literally just restarting the software and plugging the dongle in again, so shouldn't take ages.

Any other solutions I should consider?

The Avo Titan One is a similar product to the MagicDMX for their software but they're using Microsoft .Net framework so you'd have to find a windows install from somewhere. As far as I remember its of equivalent pricing to the MagicDMX Full interface, not the Basic one, so still within your budget. The Enttec openDMX USB interface is a similar sort of interface to do USB to DMX, but the quality of the signal is dependent on how well your PC runs. They've got a list of compatible software on their website and I imagine some of those are Mac compatible.

For just £60, Id go for the Magic DMX dongle. Then you have '24 hour' access. No need to re-run software etc. That is excatly how I started using magicQ - and then after being out on a few gigs with it - I bit the bullet and bought a wing.

Excatly what Chamsys want you to do really! hehe, but for what I use it for - it paid for itself within a couple of days.

But certainly for a newbie situ, having the DMX running continuously and the power of control that you have with the software - £60 is a pinch. You couldnt ask for anything more for that money . . . .

Archived