RCF 905 AS Subwoofer - No Power

charlie wilson

Have you tried google, for a manual?

Usually a good start.

On the back panel you will find all the controls, the signal and current inputs. At first verify that the voltage selector on the speaker is in proper position for your country (115 Volt or 230 Volt). The switch shall be in proper position (unless moved from unauthorized people), but a fast check will avoid problems. In case is necessary to change the voltage please call your vendor or authorized RCF SERVICE CENTRE. This operation require the substitution of the fuse value and is reserved to an RCF SERVICE CENTRE.

I would guess that means there is a fuse attached the voltage selector, which would thus suggest there is, indeed, a fuse.

1386620207[/url]' post='488085']

Sent the amp module back today, will keep you all posted.

I must say I find this so odd.

Every bit of kit has to die sometime...... It's unusual for something to die after so little use or time but it only takes one short lived component http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Though they are much tougher these days, switch mode supplies usually fail suddenly and without any warning.

Also fuses are less than useless as protection for the circuitry, as the switching transistors usually fail way before the fuses.

Though they are much tougher these days, switch mode supplies usually fail suddenly and without any warning.

Also fuses are less than useless as protection for the circuitry, as the switching transistors usually fail way before the fuses.

The fuse is there to prevent a fire, not to protect the circuitry.

I spent 5 years on testing for a firm making switch mode supplies. My nickname was "Sparky" :)

I'd work on one that had come in for repair, replace all the faulty components, test everything I could, plug it into a unit on full power and there would be a huge flash and I'd be picking bits of silicon out of my eyebrows.

The slightest fault; a slow junction on a transistor, a capacitor slightly out of tolerance and bang away it would go......

Nowadays the things switch at much higher frequencies and so the transformers etc can be much smaller and tbh some of the kit seems to be really robust.

I fixed a mate's Mark Bass amp which had a switching power supply on the primary side. They'd had a brownout on the power during the gig and his amp was dead when the power came back up to 230V.

In this case the fuses (fusible resistors) on the secondary side had done their job and blown protecting the primary side from a nasty current surge. Much to my surprise everything else was OK and the amp is still working just fine a couple of years down the road.

Well my Crown XTI 4000 has never let me down, use it with a couple of FBT Himaxx 40's.

Up until this summer I used passive tops and monitor cabs powered by 1 x Crown XTi 2000 and 1 x Crown XTi 1000. Both bought new and both failed and had to be repaired (one under warrantee and one at considerable expense as the retailer had since gone bump) within a few months of purchase. We have the same amps at work and both failed within 18 months of purchase (both chargeable repairs, one requiring a complete new mainboard costing nearly £400) so that's a 100% failure rate. The common fault was the ribbon cable connection the front panel display/controls board to the mainboard. Now we have at least three of our 6 PRX512Ms exhibiting a problem with 'frying bacon' background noise after they have been on for an hour or so (also ribbon cable related apparently). JBL claim it was due to a bad batch of ribbon cables/connectors, and to be fair all the amps worked reliably after repair. We still use them at work but I was able to replace my own rig this year so mine have been moved on.

Well I've had two XTI 4000 and haven't had a problem, I think when the next version comes out XTI 4003 ** laughs out loud **, I'll upgrade for fear of mine getting old and blowing.

Treated myself to a Dynacord Powermate 600-3 today, bought rack ears and am on with designing a case for it with slide laptop shelf.

Now does anyone have anything bad to say about Dynacord ** laughs out loud **.

Archived